Sunday, 29 September 2013

Papertrey Ink MIM #133: Creating a Flocked Look with Dimensional Paste

OMG! Let's just say I'm very happy that I use silicon mats for inking and stamping and doing dirty work on in my craft room. Dimensional paste is messy, at least my homemade version is. I loved Danielle Flander's beautiful cards and she really inspired me to try this technique.

I came up with my own version of paste, using equal parts of gesso, gloss medium and acrylic paint with some flour thrown in to thicken things up and so that it would dry more quickly. This worked really well. For my first attempt I used a stencil that I made with my Silhouette machine but I ended up not liking the design and I just couldn't come up with a card idea for it. This afternoon I decided to whip up a new batch of paste and used my PTI Quatrefoil Cover Plate and came up with this card:


I wanted a very exotic look, using in your face colours. I have been lucky enough to travel to India a few times and I love the people, the colours and the assault on all of your senses there. It's a photographer's paradise and a very special place that I love. This card reminds me of all that.

I coloured my embossing paste with some pink acrylic paint and used it on a Raspberry Fizz A2 sized mat. When it was dry, I close trimmed all of the edges and then selectively trimmed out some of the quatrefoils. Then I adhered it to a Berry Sorbet card base, added a strip of Simply Chartreuse cardstock, a Rosie Posie with some leaves and the sentiment. And there you have it.

Thanks Danielle for a fun challenge! This one was extra challenging for me.

Supplies:

Cardstock: PTI White, Simply Chartreuse, Raspberry Fizz, Berry Sorbet
Ink: PTI Ripe Avocado, Harvest Gold, Orange Zest; Versafine Onyx Black
Stamps: PTI Rosie Posie; Wplus9 Fresh Cut Florals
Dies: PTI Quatrefoil Cover Plate Die

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you gave it another go as your card is perfectly fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! I love the look of the lighter paste on the darker cardstock!!
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is just lovely. i really love your bg with the rosie posie

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.