Thursday, 13 February 2014

Papertrey Ink 7th Anniversary Day 9

And for today's challenge - the building blocks of design! We had to go to the blogs of the nine design team members and collect all of the building blocks necessary to create a beautiful card. Each team member has six numbered selections for a particular block category and I rolled a die to randomly select which item number I would be working with from their lists. This is what I ended up with:

#1: 2 Canyon Clay
#2: 1 Raspberry Fizz
#3: 1 Hibiscus Burst
#4: 1 Vintage Cream
#5: 1 Sketch
#6: 5 Friends card
#7: 2 Watercolouring (oh no!)
#8: 2 Rhinestones
#9: 3 Embroidery floss

Based on my colours and sketch, I thought I had to go pretty modern. Couldn't see these colours working for flowers so I chose instead a bolder, graphic design. Didn't want to use paint for my watercolouring and I don't own a single ink refill. So I dipped a brush directly onto my ink pads and coloured that way, using a drop of water when necessary. I elected to stamp my design on vellum with Versamark and emboss with black detail powder. Then I coloured in. I cannot see any differences  between the Hibiscus Burst and Raspberry Fizz inks, using this method, but I'm surprised at how pretty it turned out. I cut a strip of cardstock with one of the stitching line dies and stitched with embroidery floss, in the closest colour to Hibiscus Burst that I had. I didn't really want to embellish this bold design with rhinestones so I decided instetad to incorporate them into my design. Oh, and by the way, I am not at all a mathematician and the hardest part of this whole exercise was figuring out the tipped layer, since I don't own the Tipped Top dies. I had to exercise my brain and at my age it's not used to these math problems any more.

It was lots of fun but I did have two little grandsons underfoot all day (two and four years old) so it really was a challenge. Luckily for me, I came up with the idea, and even managed to get the heat embossing out of the way, before they arrived this morning.

Just realized, after reading a question on the forum, that my card is completely ILLEGAL!!! I wasn't supposed to use any other supplies or techniques than those I had been given with the roll of the die. Pouting. Posting anyway. Even though I am not going to be eligible to win. Never thought that adding black ink and cardstock and embossing (actually, that's quite a few extras; the grandkids must have really distracted me this morning) would not be acceptable. With all that said, here is my card anyway:






Supplies:

Cardstock: PTI Vintage Cream, Smokey Shadow, vellum
Stamps: PTI Round Repeats, City Scene Sentiments
Ink: PTI Hibiscus Burst, Raspberry Fizz, Canyon Clay; Versamark
Dies: Stitching Lines
Other: Embroidery floss, rhinestones, black detail embossing powder

1 comment:

  1. And a beautiful card it is, too! Love it,,and glad you've entered it anyway! Congrats on your win this week!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.