Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Papertrey Ink Make it Monday #152: Layering Dye and Pigment Inks

Heather Nichols is demonstrating a technique which is sometimes called velveteen. You stamp an image with pigment ink, let it dry, and then come back and stamp another image on top with a dye ink. I had never seen this before and really liked the effect so I tried it out.

I decided to die cut some butterflies, stamp in Fresh Snow some words from a 7Gypsies stamp set that I have, and then stamp the Beautiful Butterflies with various PTI inks. One point to remember: you have to let the pigment ink really dry. I was using a heat gun and then pretty much stamping over it right away. Most of the stamped words came up and onto my butterfly stamps. So I tried to be patient and wait for a couple of hours, and that worked much better. In fact, the longer you wait, the more image show-through you get. I had discarded a bunch of test flowers and butterflies last night, thinking that they hadn't worked, and when I looked this morning, the pigment stamping had come through beautifully and was very evident.

Here is my card:


and here are some close-ups of the various images I stamped. The 7Gypsies word stamps are Beautiful, Life is Good, Crazy Love, Adventure and various other things (including a Treble Clef). I had initially planned on using the Sweet Life and tested a Technique Tuesday clock face as a background on one of the roses.




This was a really fun technique and I'm glad to have it in my arsenal. I'm sure that I'll use it again. In fact, I have lots of leftover butterflies, so maybe I'll make another card!

Supplies:

Cardstock: PTI Stamper's Select White, Vintage Cream
Stamps: PTI Beautiful Butterflies, Grand Ampersand; 7Gypsies Lille
Ink: PTI Fresh Snow, Canyon Clay, Scarlet Jewel, Terracotta Tile
Dies: PTI Double Ended Banners; Lil Inkers Stitched Rectangles



7 comments:

  1. Great card- I love the layout, reminds me of a butterfly collection! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your stamping and how you've framed the butterflies with a negative die cut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your butterflies are just beautiful. Love the image showing through. and how you framed them. Love your sentiment too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful design on this pretty wedding card! Your butterflies look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I'll have to give this a try too! Love how yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.