Tuesday, 4 February 2014

Papertrey Ink MIM #151: Drop Shadow Die Cuts

Love that Betsy Veldman and all her fun techniques and innovations!

My husband is getting very old. Unfortunately, so am I. I was working on his birthday card on Sunday afternoon, had everything cut out but had not yet chosen a background paper, and put it all aside when the Superbowl started. I woke up Monday morning to Betsy's MIM video and decided it was just the little extra step that my project needed.

Now I don't usually make novelty-type cards (who am I kidding? with so many boys in my life I make them all the time!), but with my husband getting so old and all (next year is a milestone birthday that he doesn't even want to think about - it's a bad one; even worse than you're probably thinking) I decided to make him a fun card. I think he's going to like it because he's a geeky nerd.


And here  is the inside of the card. I made a life-size iPhone with my Silhouette. Hope he doesn't think he's getting a new one for his birthday! And I think that he's geeky enough to notice that I made it the size of my iPhone, not his newer model. We'll see.


The drop shadow die cuts add just the little kick that this card needed. I also used another technique that Betsy demonstrated a while back: paper folding. My stars (PTI Star Prints die cut from American Crafts POW glitter paper) are folded to add a 3D effect. Love this!

Thanks for visiting!

4 comments:

  1. You rocked this card! Love it. Happy Birthday to your husband. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is this a great design, but it's a fun card. Happy birthday to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card - I enjoyed reading your blog post!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.