Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Papertrey Ink Make It Monday #157: DIY Cover Plates

Betsy Veldman is up this week with a fabulous video showing how to make DIY cover plates using dies. I just love the way she casually cuts her card front with her dies, no measuring, no fiddling, and it all comes out looking just so! Like that would ever happen for me. I came up with a whole scientific mathematical grid to do my cover plate, which looked like this


and I still didn't get it perfect. And notice how I tore the template taking it off my card front. That meant I had to tape that top left hand corner back on because I was also using this as my guide for stamping. Because I would never risk stamping through my good cardstock cover plate (like Betsy did, of course) - we all know how that would have turned out! I had problems enough as it is. Here is my card and I am proud to say that I managed to do it all in one shot. No revisions! But my nerves are completely shattered.


Supplies:

Cardstock: PTI Stamper's Select White, Melon Berry, Kraft
Stamps: PTI Lovely Layers
Ink: PTI Classic Kraft, Melon Berry, Limeade
Dies: PTI Lovely Layers, It's a Banner Day
Computer generated sentiment (bisous = kisses)

7 comments:

  1. This is terrific!! And just so you know--I would have had to measure and draw lines, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to measure, too, so don't feel bad. Shattered nerves aside, your card is GORGEOUS! I love it, good chance I'll have to CASE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic. I hear you on the difficulties of this. I did mess up on mine, and then just cut that bad part off. Your precision and stamping are fantastic on this one. PS--I juste poste my entries, and one of them was inspired by you, so thank for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shattered nerves?! Oh girl you made me laugh out loud. My card made me a wreck! I think my biggest fear was messing it up after having cut NINE shapes - you had 12!. You did a wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Diana! You make such amazing cards!
    I admittedly hoard my PTI paper as well.
    Thanks for sharing
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card, Diana! You impress me with your planning, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a pretty card! wouldn't anyone want a coverplate like that!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.