Friday, 25 April 2014

Embroidered Tea Towel

It's time for the April 2014 Papertrey Ink Blog Hop! Just go over to Nichole Heady's blog for all of the details, (here)
 
The theme this month is embroidered inspiration. Nichole has challenged us to make a stamped project using an embroidery pattern as inspiration. My card is not so much based on a pattern as a style: Redwork. I'm calling it my embroidered linen tea towel card!


This is what I used as my inspiration. I have always loved this type of outline embroidery; it's so sweet and simple!


I used PTI Vintage Cream cardstock to mimic the look of linen fabric. I love how I thought of adding a dobby border with my (new!) Polka Dot Basics II stamp set. I stamped my images with pigment ink (Fresh Ink's Red Currant) and then immediately covered the images with clear embossing powder and heat set them in an attempt to make the lines look more like stitching. But it really doesn't give very much of a 3D effect because embossing powder doesn't quite stick to pigment ink like it does to Versamark. I have some red embossing powder which I initially used, and it did give more of a wow factor, except that my powder is about 15 years old and even with an embossing buddy it was impossible to do a neat job - stray powder everywhere! It also smudged after it was heat set and cooled so it was obviously past its expiry date. That little jar is now history!

I made another card, this time just stamping and not embossing the images, and it looks like this:


I prefer the ink colour of this one (Hero Arts' Red Royal) because it looks more like the Turkish red thread, but in real life the embossed card has more depth and I like the simpler layout better. But the longer I look at this one, the more I'm liking it!

Supplies:

Cardstock: PTI Vintage Cream (card front) Stamper's Select White (card base) for first card; Rustic Cream on the second card shown
Stamps: PTI Friends 'Til the End, Embellished Elegance, Bold Bouquet Anniversary, Polka Dot Basics II
Other: Clearsnap embossing powder
Inks:  PTI Sweet Blush; Fresh Ink Red Currant; Hero Arts Red Royal

23 comments:

  1. As always your card is AWESOME!!!
    I love how it mimics your inspiration!
    Thanks for sharing
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! The red immediately caught my eye and I knew exactly how you'd been inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these are fantastic! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SO adorably SWEET!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful done in one color and really reflects the inspiration piece wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Diana! Thanks for all your SWEET comments on my blog!
    MY email address is on my blog. Send me an email so we can chat.
    I would LOVE for you to call me Suze!!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous design Diana.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your card!! I also selected the Red Work style for my "hop" card! : ) Great minds think alike?? : ) Beautiful!!

    Patti

    p.s. I recall you were having trouble with your photos in blogger. Your pics look great so perhaps you got to the bottom of it but just in case my hubbers and I found that if you are not on Google+ your pics will have problems. If you are not on Google+ and need some help please feel free to contact me and I will see if I can offer some help : )

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your cards - I'm not familiar with Redwork, but love the inspiration photo you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very striking Diana. Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both lovely cards. Love how clean it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! The solid red on the cream cardstock is striking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of red work before today, but I just love your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful! And it is perfect to reflect the red embroidery. Your card jumped right out of the gallery at me, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This card is just beautiful. Love the tea towel, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so very pretty. Love how striking the red is on the vintage cream paper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love both of your beautiful creations, Diana! This stamp set is so striking in red on cream card stock!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty. Love the red CAS card.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW!! This is so BEAUTIFUL!! I LOVE your Design!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEKEND!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh I love your inspiration and your card turned out beautifully! Such a gorgeous image :-)

    Beth xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a pretty and trendy design...Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So incredibly creative - I just love the idea and the results! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.