Tuesday, 22 July 2014

Papertrey Ink Make It Monday #173: No Outline Watercolor

I am not known for my watercolouring skill. Let's leave it at that. Heather made a gorgeous card for this week's MIM over at Nichole Heady's blog, and it looked so effortless in the video.

I tried several times, and then some more again, and finally came up with this. I'm posting it; I don't care that it's not very nice; it's a challenge and it certainly was one. I can't believe the gorgeous cards that I've just looked at in the gallery. Each one is amazing and so full of personality. And then there is this ...


Unlike Heather who wanted her watercolouring to be the focal point of her card, I chose to mat my miniature painting on patterned paper. I think the water got away from me. But I did have fun and that's what counts for me.

Supplies:

Cardstock: PTI Stamper's Select White; Canson XL Watercolor Paper
Stamps: PTI Year of the Flower Collection, Doodlie-Do
Inks: PTI Smokey Shadow, Pure Poppy, Summer Sunrise, Lemon Tart, Simply Chartreuse, New Leaf; Fresh Ink Provincial Gray
Dies: PTI Button Card
Patterned Paper: Echo Park

12 comments:

  1. I love your card! And I don't think the watercoloring needs to be "perfect" either - you're being way too hard on yourself. I love the color with your choice of background - the black and white pops that gorgeous color right off the page. And the structured background looks really cool with the watercolor effect of the foreground. And i really love your choice of sentiment - so there LOL! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Twink, I think it is a lovely card. I also love jonquils! I agree, a simply stunning card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well! Now I am REALLY mad because your card is GORGEOUS!!!
    I do not want to hear about the faults you think it has!
    I have declared it GORGEOUS!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this came out lovely!! The colors are soft and blend together. I found this technique so difficult myself. I had to do it four times before I figured out how not to over do it!! Stunning card!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And then there's this" -- and it is lovely!!!!!! I think the great thing is that the watercolor doesn't have to be paint-by-numbers perfect. It's the runny-togetherness of it that makes it so lovely and soft. If I were to receive this card in the mail, I would *love* it. Let me know if I need to send you my address. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!! I knew you could do it ;). I really like the idea of using a smaller mat for your focal image--is it a journaling card? ( I must remember to use them!) I love the music behind it, too. Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your flower is beautiful. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the way you used the sharp musical background against the softness of the flower makes this a stunning card! Watercolor is not supposed to be precise, anyway and yours is just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diana, this is beautiful! Love the image choice and the background. Great look and coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your card came out beautifully, Diana! Your watercolored art is lovely on the music sheet paper ~ nice job with this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really lovely card. Love the image and the paper together. I think it turned out great :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, this certainly made me sit up straight in my chair! It is a blissful and delightful painted card, Diana!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.