Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Papertrey Ink Make It Monday #176: Backgrounds with Embossing Paste

It's Laura Bassen, for the first time ever, up at Nichole Heady's Papertrey Ink blog, for this week's Make It Monday. I loved her video and her technique of making backgrounds with stencils and embossing paste. I've done this many times before but this time around I went all out and got even messier than usual! I did just like Laura - I slapped down blobs of paste on my craft mat, smooshed in ink and made a mess and it was so much more fun than using plastic cups and doing it in the kitchen next to the sink. It was so liberating! Her cards were beauties, of course ...


I went very simple - I made a stencil (out of cheap cardstock) using PTI's Cover Plate: Circle die. I then trimmed a piece of Stamper's Select White cardstock to the size I wanted for my card and used post it notes to hold down the stencil and mask off the parts of it that I didn't want to use. It really is a lot of fun to layer on the paste and the different colours (I only used two for this card). I also chose to use a serrated plastic knife for my palette, adding in even more texture.


When all was finished, I happened to love my used stencil. It looked gorgeous with just the middle part "coloured" in with embossing paste. I started to make another card with it and decided to trim just a little bit off the edges. And then I trimmed just a little bit more and then the next thing I knew I was left with only a tiny snippet and couldn't come up with a card for it at all! I was so mad at myself, but there you have it!

Oh, and I know this is a bit far-fetched, but my inspiration for this card came from Sunday's gorgeous Supermoon. Wasn't it spectacular?!! We took a couple of pics but I wish I would have thought of taking a selfie with it!

Supplies:

Cardstock: PTI Stamper's Select White, Smokey Shadow
Stamps: PTI Wet Paint
Inks: PTI Smokey Shadow, Summer Sunrise, Berry Sorbet
Dies: PTI Cover Plate: Circles die, Tipped Tops, Building Blocks
Other: Liquitex Light Modeling Paste

14 comments:

  1. Very nice card! the colors and textures are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!!! I love the 2 colors and the idea of the serrated knife. It is hard for me to get a smooth look.
    Funny story on your stencil. I had a great vision of you holding a little 2x2 scrap in your hand ;)
    Thanks for sharing
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Diana!! I absolutely love your happy birthday card. The colors are totally amazing. The circle are perfect for this technique. Wonderfully done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, colourful card! Congrats on the well-deserved shout out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is super fun! Congrats on the Facebook feature- bummer on your stencil ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful! Great colors and design! Congrats on your shout out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Outstanding! I love the colors/design and totally want to CASE this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is very nice. I like the quiet white background with the texture background.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.