Saturday, 22 November 2014

Impression Line Water Colouring

This week's Make It Monday challenge over at Papertrey Ink, here, was super tricky. Erin showed off this technique beautifully ...


but I just didn't know what to do with it. I didn't think that any of the dies I own would be good for this technique and I'm just not that crazy about water colouring to begin with. I hate to give up so I played around a bit with my PTI Circles Cover Plate. I impressed it into water colour paper and then painted it with an old Twinkling H2O paint pot that I had (Iridescent Red). I liked the effect it gave, but the card front sat around on my counter, unused, for days because I couldn't decide how to finish it. My first thought was a snowflake but every arrangement I tried looked awful. Every once in a while I would revisit the project and finally it all came together. Not easy, but I really love the way it turned out. Thanks so much to Erin for highlighting this technique and for bringing out her H2O's. I had forgotten all about them!



The first photo I took was in the early morning. Love the way the light was coming through the snowflakes.


This detail shot shows how the Iridescent Red Twinkling H2O changes colour depending on how the light strikes the card.

I am also entering my card into the CAS(E) this sketch #101 challenge ...


I'm probably stretching it to call my card CAS, but I think the fact that it's tone on tone in colour helps. In any case, I'm going with it!

Supplies:

Cardstock: PTI Rustic White, Vellum, Smokey Shadow; Canson XL Watercolour Paper; DCWV
Glitter Cardstock
Stamps: PTI Wet Paint Holiday
Inks: PTI Smokey Shadow
Dies: PTI Wet Paint Holiday Cuts, Snowflake Medley, Fancy Flakes, Damask Snowflakes, Building Blocks
Other: Iridescent Red Twinkling H2O

12 comments:

  1. I saw your entry for the MIM challenge on the PTI page.
    Gorgeous card! Elegant and subtle colouring. :-)
    Bye,

    Marjolein

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love how your card turned out!! Especially the photo with the light coming from the side! Good for you to persevere! I didn't even try this technique...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana, I am so in love with the photo with the sun shining through the snowflake! The subtlety is perfection! Beautiful card in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning creation and such a beautiful photo with the sunlight, Diana. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful card! You have inspired me to dig out my large stash of H2Os. I forgot all about those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why didn't my first comment post?

    Ok, GF, send this card to me. I love it! It's gaw-juss!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! Thank you for joining us at Case this Sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Diana!!! I too love the photo where the sunlight is coming through the snowflake...absolute perfection! Your persistence really paid off! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is so pretty! Wonderful take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice card. I love the circles behind the snowflake.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.