Saturday, 14 February 2015

Papertrey Ink 8th Anniversary Day 8: Blue Ombré Challenge


Day 8 of Papertrey's 8th Anniversary festivities brought us some new Betsy Veldman goodies, which you can read all about here. Because her new set is called Blue Skies, we were asked to create a project that features a blue ombré effect. This is the card that I made.


While I like all colours, blue is not my favourite. I rarely use blue. The simple little card that I ended up with took me pretty much an entire afternoon to make. I smooshed and sponged and rubbed ink into cardstock, trying to imitate Laura Bassen as best I could, and ended up trashing so very many attempts. I had no real idea of what I wanted to make, I was just playing with blue inks. I finally ended up with this piece and I was so proud of myself ...


... for me, the blending was pretty decent. So I thought I might die cut a word out of it, like Laura Bassen did for a Make It Monday last year, but then I got to thinking that it looked somewhat sky-like and I decided I wanted to use my Songbirds stamps and dies. But I realized that my "sky" wasn't large enough and that it was lacking some yellow tone, i.e., Aqua Mist. So I churned out a new, bigger, better sky and it was beautiful and a sight to behold. I die cut the Songbird branch from it (see my card above) and then placed it back into the sky and my little songbird was all stamped and ready to go. But while trimming my artwork for the card front, the sky ripped slightly and then somehow I smudged the white portion with some ink. The background could not be salvaged and I was ready to just give up on the entire blue ombré deal. I just dropped my branch and bird on some white card, and that's when I decided that I actually liked it best against stark white!!! In fact, I really like this sweet card and the fun "thickness" of the branch.

 Supplies:

Cardstock - PTI Stamper's Select White
Stamps - PTI Songbirds
Inks - PTI Smokey Shadow, Aqua Mist, Spring Rain, Blueberry Sky, Enchanted Evening, Lemon Tart, Sweet Blush, Pure Poppy, New Leaf
Dies - PTI Songbirds

10 comments:

  1. Diana, your card is gorgeous! The colors are beautiful together and look perfect with the white background. You had a playful and successful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this card is just too cute. Aren't you glad Suze insisted and you preserved?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, you certainly won this challenge! You were SO SMART to die cut you ombré!!!
    Mine turned out so blotchy. You wouldn't have known on a die cut!
    BRILLIANT!!! And it made a beautiful card
    BRAVO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I absolutely love this! And I can totally identify with the whole inking! Laura has a magic touch that my hands do not posess! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is beautiful!! I tried smooshing before I switched to ink-blending as well. My smooshing...ugh...not a fan of how it turned out, but will try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never crossed my mind to make ombre leaves, but now I will! Love this card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You card is amazing, Diana! It really turned out beautifully. I just bought this stamp/die set and can't wait to try your technique :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blended piece and how you used it for your leaves. I think that Laura makes the blending look way easier than it really is--but you did a really good job with this one.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.