Friday, 27 March 2015

Papertrey Ink Make It Monday #206: Stamping and Mixing Patterns

Danielle Flanders is challenging us this week, over at Papertrey Ink, to stamp our own patterned papers and to mix and match them on a project. Trust Danielle go come up with lovely cards that are fresh and modern and oh so trendy ...


... see what I mean? Gorgeous to look at, I could stare at them all day! I'm a grumpy pants about this project. Do you think I brought my Polka Dot Basics Background stamp set to FL with me? Or any stamp set, for that matter, that has a single straight line in it so I might be able to create a striped pattern? Of course not!

After hemming and hawing for days, I finally came up with a combination of stamped papers that could (barely) work together ...


and made this card; I ended up not using the smooshed woodgrain embossed paper :) ...


True confession: I had made the large floral paper for Ashley's doodling challenge a couple of weeks ago and ended up not using it because I wasn't crazy about it. But I found it in my journal this week and decided to trim it, and then I trimmed it just a teeny bit more more, and finally was left with this focal point. Don't know why, but this card reminds me of a tattoo, not that I have any! Kind of like an old time Ed Hardy iPhone skin.

Because I don't have any stripe or dot stamps with me, I had a hard time coming up with a strong repetitive patterned paper, which I felt I needed to ground the Enclosed flower layer. I decided on a single leaf from the Pretty Petals stamp set. It was super easy to stamp and I love the paper that I ended up with. Thanks for the challenge, Danielle!

Supplies:

Cardstock - PTI Stamper's Select White; Canson watercolour paper
Stamps - PTI Enclosed: Flower, Pretty Petals, Pretty Peonies, Embellised Elegance
Inks - PTI Smokey Shadow, Sweet Blush, Berry Sorbet, Limeade Ice; Fresh Ink Silver Lilac
Other - Sequins

15 comments:

  1. This is great!! I especially love the patterned, black border. Such a nice change from plain black. I am impressed how well you are able to meet challenges with limited supplies! It's going to feel like Christmas when you get home to ALL of your supplies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an AWESOME card. I LOVE your doodled floral panel. Like really LOVE it!the rest of the stamped panels all work really well together as well.
    You rocked this challenge. Especially with limited supplies!
    Thanks for sharing
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm, this is wonderful, love every bg paper you created, especially love the large doodle floral, great colors, think its marvelous all together! This isn't just a happy accident, this is genius at work! GREAT card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. super pretty, love the mixin' & matchin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes we do our best work when we are really challenged (like limited supplies!), and I think this card definitely qualifies! Your water colored and doodled image is just gorgeous and I love the "peeks" of the other two papers you made behind it...lovely, lovely card! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adore this card! (I think I say that about all your cards, but I mean it!) I love all the papers you created...so glad you kept that doodling gem! It looks fabulous here. I think my favorite is the leave pattern...love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, your doodling is amazing! I love that as the focal point! The black patterned border is perfect with it, really defines the front panel. And the pattern you used in the background really looks like a sketched design that goes perfectly with the doodling! It's gorgeous!! Honeslty, I don't think you could make a bad card if you even tried. You are so talented! Always love to see what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous results Diana! I love that you had to use what you had on hand and what you came up with is perfect. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOWZERS, girlfriend, I love your doodling! This card rocks the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The card is fabulous! I love it when leftover/experimental bits find a place in a new project : D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness!! What a beautiful card!! I love everything about it!! You totally rocked the challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your card, Diana!! Great description of how it all happened!! You have a fabulous eye for design!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your card! It's fabulous & so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diana, Good to see you enjoying the Pretty Peonies set. Your cards are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH MY...OH MY...Diana, what gorgeous patterned papers you created! AND...the colors (my favorites, lately) and stamp designs work so beautifully together. The black leaf & flower stamping are genius! All so beautifully done! You've inspired me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.