Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Papertrey Ink Make It Monday #210: Using Vellum to Soften Patterns

It's Lizzie Jones who is hosting this week's Make It Monday over at the Papertrey Ink blog. She's showing us all how to use vellum to soften a bold pattern. She has all kinds of tricks and tips up her sleeve and the cards she made were awesome ...


Since it's DH's birthday next week (May 5), and I hadn't even thought about his card, I challenged myself to use vellum on a card for him. Now normally, and I don't know why, I think of vellum as dainty and flimsy and pretty, but I was determined to make a card, with vellum, that could be used for a male birthday. I'm not sure that I'll really give him this, since his birthday is a VERY VERY significant and LARGE numbered one and I think I should make him something funny, but it's a card I could use.


Since he was/is a graphic designer, I went very graphic. I stamped a partial background using Autumn Pattern Pieces, adhered a vellum panel and then layered a Shaker Shapes: Star over the top. I figure that even men can enjoy shakers; but I fear that it might be too much excitement for DH at his advanced age :). He's really not looking forward to his birthday and I don't blame him. He's older than I am but I don't even want to mention to anyone how old he's going to be in case it reflects badly on me, LOL. Poor him, he'll be glad when the celebrations are over.

Supplies:

Cardstock -  PTI Stamper's Select White, Enchanted Evening, Aqua Mist, Limeade Ice, Harvest Gold, Vellum
Stamps -  PTI Autumn Pattern Pieces, Baker's Dozen (two of the sentiments), Doodlie-Do (third sentiment)
Inks -  PTI Smokey Shadow
Dies - PTI Shaker Shapes: Star; various other little dies for the pieces of confetti 

12 comments:

  1. This is so fun! Fabulous take on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is a great card. I love it.
    I hope you don't put candles on his cake or you might set off the smoke detector! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally graphic! Love the image behind the star, almost star-like. Just tell DH that advanced age has it's perks... he doesn't have to open doors for anyone, they'll be opening them for him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me laugh! Not your card, but your write up! Love your card and the Autumn Pattern Pieces! (Which I have yet to use...blush). But you know, after all this build up, you're going to have to tell us how old he's going to be! PS I'm sure your hubby is going to love his card ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might rhyme with "eleventy" but you didn't hear it from me.

      Delete
  5. Oh Diana...you are too funny! And I love your graphic card and especially the shaker!! My husband survived the big 60 with a shaker card, so I'm sure the excitement of this card won't be too taxing on him! He'll love the color, the movement, and the fact that you made it for him! Well done! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to make a bold statement! Love your shaker element. This is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diana, this is a wonderful masculine card! Maybe that fabulous star shaker will help him forget about the "number" and just enjoy the celebration :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diana, you are too funny (here and on the Forum). Love your sense of humor and your blog posts. This fun and well-designed card might make your hubby feel good with no mention of age, aging, maturing, etc. Happy Birthday to DH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You karacked me up with this post, Diana! Anyone would think he was going to be 100!! You tell him that and see if he doesn't suddentl think ___ sounds pretty young and manageable!! Happy Birthday to him on Tuesday, whatever his advanced age is! The card you made is fantastic for any gender, any age, and excellent for the MIM vellum challenge!! Have a great day! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your card is great!! Love the star shaker. Even though it has the vellum it still looks masculine.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.