Saturday, 4 July 2015

Adding Colour to Cover Plates


This week's challenge, over at Nichole Heady's Papertyrey Ink blog, is to add colour to our cover plates. Laura Bassen is showing us how to do it, and she's succeeded in making me more envious of her colouring skills than ever :) She's so good - just look!


And that's only one of the lovely cards that she made! I know I whine quite a bit, but I always have good reason. I never whine because I have nothing else to do. Today my complaint is that I don't have any of the "good" cover plates for this technique. You know, the ones that set a lovely scene. I, sigh, had to make do. I chose to use my PTI Chanel Handbag cover plate, otherwise known as the Harlequin die.


I chose to do kind of a mixed media look. I coloured two pieces of watercolour paper. For the one I was going to cut the cover plate out of, I went for a softer look, using a Zig Clean Colour Real Brush pen (I only own 2), a gelato and a waterbrush. After that piece was dry I stamped it with PTI Text Style II randomly, using Canyon Clay ink.

For the piece that is behind the cover plate, I coloured with the same Zig and gelato, stamped with the same stamp, and then did some ink blending. I used Tim Holtz Spiced Marmalade and Berry Sorbet to create the rich colour.

I finished the card up with die cuts from Songbirds. Pretty easy to do, looks very different from my usual pastels, and I think I like it.


11 comments:

  1. Super creative & beautiful! My only other option was the hexagon which I didn't think would work very well, but now you've made me realize I can use that one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these warm colours! I don't own any of those fancy cover plates, either, but your way of using the "Chanel Handbag" coverplate (lol) this way is sheer genius! Great texture on your card, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great artsy card! Your technique was awesome.
    I think I like it, too!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I whine because you are a stupendous cardmaker. You and my crafty sister. This is a very stupendous card, my friend. Yes, I like it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana, this is simply beautiful!
    I love the colors & text.
    Fabulous & fun take on the MIM.

    Oops...had to correct my spelling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who needs a "good" cover plate when you can create a card like this?!!! I think this is my favorite card out of the whole line up this week Diana! I love the colors, the text on the background and the cover plate, and the bold colors of the die cuts from Songbirds...this is a stunning masterpiece!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is gorgeous! Fabulous colour combo, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your mixed media card and this wonderful set you used. Looks like I missed a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really gorgeous. Love how you did the cover plate and also the die cut. Love the mixed media look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make wonderful cards Diana. This is another amazing creation. I love the rich colors. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.