Monday, 24 August 2015

Papertrey Ink Blog Hop: August 2015



I've made three cards for this month's Blog Hop, which is taking place over at Nichole Heady's Papertrey Ink blog, and I didn't even find the inspiration photo especially attractive! When I saw the photo on release night my initial reaction was "Whoa. What's that about?!" But then I started looking more closely and letting the photo speak to me, and then I was able to see how exotic it really was. It reminded me of casbahs, and Turkish carpets and outdoor markets filled with pots of herbs and spices and beads and trinkets, and other interesting things to buy. I love travelling and this photo brought back so many memories of exotic places I've visited.

I love the first card that I finished. Honestly, I'm personally thanking Nichole for posting what I thought of as an "iffy" photo, because I never would have come up with this card otherwise :)



Wouldn't this make a beautiful wedding invitation? Or Christmas card? I love mehndi designs and might even have had one or two menhdi tattoos applied during visits to various countries where they are popular (they're temporary henna tattoos).

The background of the next card is the first thing I made for this challenge, but then I had a difficult time incorporating it into a card. It ended up far from exotic and not at all what I expected, but I like it just the same.



I ink blended the background and then used my PTI Mehndi Medallion Impression Plate on the piece. As a final step, I swept some PTI Fresh Snow Ink over the top of the embossed background. It's so beautiful in real life and feels almost like soft Moroccan leather. Mehndi Medallion is my favourite impression plate/folder of all time. I love that one side of it is a partial design, leaving a portion of your card front un-embossed. I wish that PTI would come out with other plates like this; I find it adds so much interest to a card.

The third card is totally not exotic. I needed a quick birthday card and decided to go with the colours in the inspiration photo.


I watercoloured the cupcake using some Zig markers, which I've been playing with, and enjoying, a lot lately.

Have fun hopping along today. I'm sure we'll be seeing lots of eye candy.

Supplies for Joy card

Paper - PTI Stamper's Select White, Summer Sunrise, Raspberry Fizz, Pure Poppy, Orange Zest, Berry Sorbet and Luxe Gold card
Stamps - PTI Mehndi Medallion mini
Inks - PTI Smokey Shadow
Dies - PTI Phrase Play #8; Lil Inkers Stitched Rectangles; Spellbinders Nested Circles

Supplies for Get Well Wishes card

Paper - PTI Vintage Cream, Summer Sunrise, Stamper's Select White card
Stamps - PTI Brushed Blooms, Keep It Simple: Get Well
Inks - PTI Raspberry Fizz, Pure Poppy, Berry Sorbet, Orange Zest, Summer Sunrise, Fresh Snow, Smokey Shadow, Sweet Blush, Hibiscus Burst, Simply Chartreuse, Ripe Avocado
Dies - PTI Brushed Blooms, Embroidered Dots Frames (my newest most favourite basic die; it will be difficult not to use it on every single card I make); MFT Sentiment Strips

Supplies for Celebrate card

Paper - PTI Stamper's Select White, Dark Chocolate, Raspberry Fizz, Classic Kraft card; Canson XL Mixed Media 98 lbs. paper; Dear Lizzy patterned paper
Stamps - PTI Enclosed: Cupcake, Doodlie-Do, Still Life: Summer, Make It Market: Tinsel & Tags
Inks - PTI New Leaf, Limeade Ice, Pure Poppy, Berry Sorbet, Dark Chocolate, Classic Kraft, Sweet Blush, Smokey Shadow
Dies - PTI Enclosed: Cupcake, Still Life: Summer, Make It Market: Tinsel & Tags
Other - Zig Clean Colour Real Brush markers; Glossy Accents



26 comments:

  1. WOW...you've been a busy stamper Diana, and I love all 3 cards! Your first is my favorite though...CAS perfection!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a 'Why didn't I think of that' moment. Mehndi Medallion is drop dead GORGEOUS! So simple and rich. And then to go from the casbah to Brushed Blooms is like a trip around the world! Love the rich leather thing in the bg! Your cupcake is adorable, so far from the other 2, yet rich and lovely. Honestly feel like you covered it all! Beautiful, beautiful, work Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GET OUT! That first card?! Oh. My Stars. That is beautiful!!!! I love all three cards, they each bring something different to the table from the inspiration photo. But that first one? I'm just gobsmacked by it. You are fantastic, my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Your first card is so rich and evocative - I can almost smell the spices in the marketplace! Beautiful and elegant, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much variety! So much inspiration! So much color! So much talent! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cards, girl! I especially love the bottom two. You did a great interpretation of the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the etched leather look on the second card, but the first one with the layered Mehndi circles is just stunning. So much detail in a CAS card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are showing off for the class with these incredible cards, Diana! I love them all!! You thanked Nichole, but I thank YOU for all the inspiration you have given me, in turn! Isn't it wonderful how that works?! Enjoy the hop! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  9. A-freaking-mazing, Diana! Each card is so different, but they all work so well with the inspiration photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diana, you did an amazing job with this challenge. I top one is totally in theme with the inspiration! The second one is just plain pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All three of your cards are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Each of your cards use different elements from the inspiration photo, but the first one is amazing. I never would have thought to 'stack' the Mehndi Medallions in this way. Thank you for such a clever idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You rocked this with three cards for this inspiration. I LOVE your first card with the fabulous use of that stamp set. Looks so pretty with the layered medallions. The second card is sweet. Fabulous take on the challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what amazing cards, Diana! Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Three fabulous cards - difficult to choose a favourite! The background of your second card does look like soft leather - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous creations! Absolutely adore your JOY card, lovely colors and stacked design! And you used my most favorite word ever....JOY! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are all fabulous, Diana! I love each one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. And you questioned the attractiveness of Nichole's inspiration photo, Diana? You outdid yourself with all three of these works of art. Just fabulous results and each one so different.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful cards, Diana. I love how you were inspired to create three totally different projects!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOWOWOWOWOW!! AMAZING Cards!! =) I LOVE how Inspired you were!! These are ALL AWESOME Designs and takes on the Photo!! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mehndi Medallion is just so beautiful and your design is gorgeous here.
    The Brushed Blooms is a set that is NOW moving up on my Wish List. And, the cupcake card is too sweet :-) Fabulous creations, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A beautiful selection of cards Diana! Yes... that first card takes me to Turkey ! Looks so much like the prints and architecture you find there and also here in the UAE!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mosque in Abu Dhabi and the rich, dark yellow gold of India and the Middle East comes to mind. You're living in such an intense place, Hannelie, a daily feast for the eyes.

      Delete
  23. All three are fabulous Diana! I think the first one is my favorite although the cupcake does look pretty yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The first one is jaw dropping...truly exotic! love them all!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.