Friday, 25 March 2016

Sewing on Cards

It's the 25th of March already and that means it's time for another Papertrey Ink Blog Hop. Nichole has challenged us this month to add some stitching to our cards. She provided unique, breathtaking inspiration from a new-to-me artist, Izziyana Suhaimi. Her work is fascinating and so emotional. I was really really intimidated, for so many reasons, but last night I decided that I had to try or I would really regret it.


The first two cards I made are really similar (one was a practice that I ended up cropping and using) and based on this specific photo ...


I loved that solid satin stitching, the pink and yellow. However, I don't have any embroidery floss (in Florida) and since I never use it I decided not to go out and buy any, to just make do with what I could find. The condo came "equipped" with a Ferragamo shoe box tool kit, that is filled with all kinds of miscellaneous items, including butane lighter fluid (!!!) and an emergency sewing kit. I chose to use some yellow thread from that kit on all of my cards :)


(I didn't realize until after I took this photo that my card set made such a perfect swoosh together!)

 




I used my very fun PTI Make It Market Mini Kit: Color Pop Florals to make these first two cards. I sponged ink (PTI Vintage Jade; Tim Holtz Barn Door, Abandoned Coral and Wild Honey) to make the flowers and leaves and then pierced some holes and added minimal stitching. I got braver on the top card and stitched some crosshatch flower centres :)  Both of these cards were finished up with some word die cuts (Scripted from PTI).

For my last card I was influenced by the colours in this specific project ...


Love the soulfulness of that amazing tableau! My card is not soulful, but whatever ...


A very simple, one layer card. I used PTI's Brushed Blooms, Big Hugs and Painted Petals stamp sets. Inks are all from PTI: Enchanted Evening, Spring Rain, Stormy Sea, Scarlet Jewel, Summer Sunrise (details on leaves).

43 comments:

  1. Great job on all three Diana! Glad you were able to find some thread...it really adds to the cards. And aren't you glad you bought Color Pop Florals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Diana, what fun that you experimented with your condo sewing kit! The stitching is really wonderful in all its sketchy simplicity, and especially with the extra holes that you didn't use :-) Love all three of your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too clever!! Your cards are amazing. Beautiful job with the inspiration piece!! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cards and neat stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cards, all! Glad you were able to find some thread! You really did a nice job with your interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! This stitching challenge was intimidating:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are all gorgeous! Love the stitched centers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diana these are all so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love how you used the stencil to make your flower and then added stitching detail! brilliant! Each card is perfect and fresh and well... wow!

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you decided to go for it! Your cards are beautiful!!!! I knew they would be. And I'm amazed at what you can do with thread from a sewing kit!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Diana, you took an artistic direction, and I applaud! (Can you hear my clap?) Simply stunning, including the crop, which I think is my fav!
    Clap, clap clap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful cards Diana! Love your stitching and the texture that the extra holes add.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All three cards are beautiful Diana! I love that you used what you had and it worked out perfectly. Love the bold colours of the first two cards and the blues of the third look great against the grey backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. your cards are gorgeous; so happy you worked through being intimidated by the challenge. your cards are unique and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, my goodness! I love those first two and want to make them! Love, love the stitches too! SOOO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Diana, these are all truly works of art! I love the stitching and the pierced holes in the flowers. So clever and artsy. A job well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cards are stunning! Beautiful and clean. I love your color choices

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful cards, lovely designs! Pretty, pretty flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I'm so glad that you decided to do the hop Diana! I always enjoy seeing what you come up with and this time is no exception! These are gorgeous! And so clever to poke the holes and add some stitching! Love the colors and each and every card!

    ReplyDelete
  20. AWESOME! Love all your cards, especially the last one! Love your thread in the flower centers--such a great touch!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Diana, you were on a roll with all three of these beauties! You tackled the challenge beautifully without embroidery floss. And No, I don't need Scripted (please keep reminding me)!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OH, you really went to town on this challenge. I love all of your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  23. All three of these cards are stunning!
    You were truly inspired by the photos.
    As usual...amazing cards

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wishing I had purchased color pop florals now! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. All 3 of these are just stunning Diana! And I love how resourceful you were with the sewing kit, and your stitching looks fabulous on your flowers! Lovely, lovely cards!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous, Diana! I love how you incorporated the stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wishing I had purchased color pop florals now! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh wow, what stunning stitched patterns you created, Diana! I just love how they transformed the flowers. You had me wondering what stamped image that was at first, sooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are all beautiful, Diana! Love your center stitches! Love the rich colors and frame detailing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful Diana, love the stitching, great take on the inspiration photos!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a a fun set of cards.. and you went the extra mile diving into that sewing kit :) Great job. Cute cards.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful work Diana! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your cards are stunning Diana - love how the third one has a completely different feel to the first two. A stunning showcase of that stamp set!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So gorgeous!!! I haven't tried it yet either, and have wanted to since seeing Miriam Pratner do it on her cards ... a beautiful swoosh!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fabulous cards, Diana! You were so clever to incorporate the thread you found in the condo.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, but then I knew I was going to wowed when I came to you blog Diana! Absolutely gorgeous set of cards! Simply elegant and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are all beautiful, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the clever way you used the yellow thread, Diana! Beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  39. These are just stunning! Gorgeous stamping and I LOVE the stitching on the flower centers!

    ReplyDelete
  40. WOW! These are all so beautiful!!! I am loving these flowers and the sewing is perfect on here!

    ReplyDelete
  41. OH, Diana, what beautiful cards you've created!
    Fabulous take on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.