Saturday, 2 April 2016

Adding Interest with Scored Lines

This week, over at Papertrey Ink's Make It Monday challenge, Laurie Willison is up and she's showing us how to add interest with score lines to some of our more simpler cards. I love Laurie's clean and fresh cardmaking style, and I like to imitate it as much as I can, so this was a good lesson for me. On her video she shows several of her cards with this detail and this is the one she made for this week ...


... light and airy and very appealing. I played around with some of her different suggestions and first came up with a scored background that was kind of diamond or, in my mind, trellis shaped. DH, who was passing by at the time, told me it was very old-ladyish. He tells me this a lot. I tell him I am an old lady, and he responds with a "Not that old!". So I tried again, and came up with this card, which passed his inspection (whoopie doo, as if I care) ...

Paper: PTI Stamper's Select White; Stamps: PTI Just Desserts; Ink: PTI Smokey Shadow, Dark Chocolate, Classic Kraft, Sweet Blush, Vintage Jadeite, Pure Poppy, Harvest Gold, Summer Sunrise; Dies: PTI Just Desserts

Now that I'm posting this photo, I really wish that I had lowered all my elements a few smidgens, but in real life it seems to work so I'm not going to worry about it. P.S. This is such a cute stamp set! I decided to make a chocolate mocha buttercream cake 'cause that's my family's favourite.

Of course this frugal old lady couldn't let the first background go, so I looked around my stash and ended up making this card too ...

Paper: PTI Stamper's Select White, Smokey Shadow; Stamps: PTI Painted Petals; Inks: PTI Hawaiian Shores, Ocean Tides, Limeade Ice, Harvest Gold, Summer Sunrise, Smokey Shadow; Dies; PTI Painted Petals; Other: Versamark, SSS White Detail embossing powder


What appears to be smudges, on the lower right hand corner of the card, is actually some freehand foiling that I did with Versamark, Ranger Sticky Embossing Powder, and Thermoweb Deco Foil in Rose Gold. Almost impossible to photo, but it adds a little something-something to the card.

25 comments:

  1. Well, DH is wrong! Both cards are lovely. However, I would love to dive head first into that cake! Outstanding cards. The flowers are fresh and springy and your cake.....YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are amazing. love the foil touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both of these Diana, they are beautiful. Love the diamond grid and the touch of foiling on the second card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both cards are awesome but that foiling detail and those score lines you did - SO cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old lady-ish? No way! Love both cards, and your touch of foil is terrific! The scored lines behind your cake really ground it. I'm kicking myself for not getting around to trying this challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like both cards and that cake looks good enough to eat! And the "smudges" looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love both cards but I actually like the second one better!
    I love Painted Petals a lot, you did it well! I haven't used it enough.
    Pat let me borrow her tulip set so I have cut and am in the process of
    stamping about 30 sets in lots of colors. So it is next on my to-do list!
    Both are pretty but the old lady is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the free-hand foiling idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the free-hand foiling idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well my mouth is watering with the chocolate buttercream comment, and simply love the beautiful scoring. But I love the trellis on the 2nd card too. Diana, you just can't do anything but a beautiful card. Wow with the foiling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these two cards and very taken with the diamond scoring you did <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diana, I tend to disagree with your DH regarding diagonal score lines. :) Your cards are just beautiful and your cake looks good enough to eat. Foiling, embossing, scoring - you do it all very well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love both your cards, but especially the second one. Of course, I'm an old lady,so you would expect that comment! The foiling takes it to a whole new level, though - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!! I love the cake card it is really sweet!! but the lattice look in the corner with the foil WOW!! you did a tremendous job. I guess I qualify as an old lady because I think this one is a show stopper!

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great card. I am still learning how to use this anniversary set, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I guess I'm an old lady too because I love the diamond background! Both beautiful cards! I frequently notice the need to move things around a "few smidgens" on my cards after posting them too, lol! So frustrating, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great cards! Really neat half lattice look!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Diana, your cards are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diana, your cards are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had to laugh about your husbands comment ,sounds like something my husband would say. Love the youthful save on the flower card and your cake is absoultly gorgeous and yummy! Love that set so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your cards are just beautiful and thank you for the touch of Deco Foil! We appreciate your using our product!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, these are both fabulous!
    Diana, I used the anniversary set last week and struggled with it.... so I sold it to an online friend. I wish I would have seen your second card before I did so -- it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your cards, Diana. Both are so beautifully designed and stamped.

    I've missed too many PTI challenges, lately. Hopefully, I can get back to creating. You always inspire me. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great cards! Love the touch of foil too!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.