Sunday, 24 April 2016

April 2016 Papertrey Ink Blog Hop


I really like card challenges because they get me moving. While it might appear that I don't participate in very many of them, I often create cards based on them, I'm just too lazy to photo and post. That's basically who I am - the lazy cardmaker :) But I try to join in on most of Papertrey Ink's challenges because they're usually pretty interesting.

For this month's Blog Hop, over at Nichole Heady's blog, she's making things REALLY interesting (and difficult) this time around. I actually had to do a lot of thinking on this and can't wait to see what everyone else came up with. Her inspiration spotlights the work of artist Chad Hagen ...


I decided to make three cards, which I like to do.


 I'm calling the first one The Obvious ...

Paper: PTI Stamper's Select White; Hobby Lobby's Master's Touch Watercolor Paper. Stamps: PTI Script Swirls: Birthday. Ink: PTI Pure Poppy Canyon Clay, Smokey Shadow. Card size is 4"x6".


Obvious, because I would think that anyone looking at the inspiration, who owns this stamp set, would immediately think of using it. I love this card, especially because I think it could work for a masculine birthday, and also because I got to do the only kind of watercolouring I'm capable of :)

My second card is entitled The Slight Stretch ...


Paper: PTI Classic Kraft, Stamper's Select White; Tim Holtz Kraft Core Metallic Copper. Stamps: PTI Keep It Simple: Encouragement, Script Swirls: Birthday. Ink: PTI Pure Poppy, Canyon Clay, Terracotta Tile, Smokey Shadow, Soft Stone. Dies: PTI Scene It: Skyscapes, Heart Prints; Lil Inkers Stitched Rectangles.

I was influenced by the circles, the dotted lines that look like stitching, the overall "constellation drawing" look of the inspiration piece and the colours. I actually rescued some elements that I had tossed into the trash from making my first card. I had ink blended a background and then stamped the Script Swirls over it, but I wasn't crazy about the effect. So instead I die cut the sun and heart from the paper and made a new card. I think this one can be used for encouragement and/or a birthday - a masculine birthday (!) - so win-win.

My third card is named The Self Indulgent ...

Paper: PTI Stamper's Select White, Vintage Cream (the flowers), Rustic White (the border). Stamps: PTI Tulip Time. Inks: PTI Canyon Clay, Terracotta Tile, Scarlet Jewel, Ocean Tides; Fresh Inks Blue Sage. Dies: PTI Tulip Time, Embroidered Frames: Dots.

which name should be self evident. I managed to make a floral card based on Nichole's (very) mean prompt by just swinging for the colours. Ha! Needed to use Tulip Time; I just couldn't help myself, and they actually kind of have those overlapped circles in them so Ha! again.

And there you have it. Another month done. We're packing our bags and heading back home on Wednesday. We've had a fabulous winter in Florida (and are planning to come back next year) but I can't wait to see family and friends, especially the littles. We're timing our drive so that we can pick them up from school on Friday afternoon and take them out to dinner. I need to hug and kiss them all ever so badly!

45 comments:

  1. They are all awesome Diana -- I knew you would rock this challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these are all fabulous, Diana! I love all three of your takes on the inspiration piece! You are so creative and such a great style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all so awesome! And lol, I love your titles for them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous , all, Diana! Adore the 1st one, with the rays, super creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, Diana, what fabulous cards you've created.
    I love how you were inspired.
    Beautifully done!

    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautious cards all my friend. I really do like The Obvious and "may" try it myself.....even thought I do not water color!

    Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All are amazing!! You make beautiful cards every time- thank you for sharing all 3! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Diana...not only are you a creative card maker, you are also just too funny! I loved all the your titles for your cards and how each one came about! I think all 3 are fabulous takes on the inspiration photo! Safe travels home!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like all of these takes on the challenge. I also think that making a tittle for each card is super and I am thinking about doing the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am not sure 'the lazy cardmaker' makes three cards for one challenge! HA! you are funny. anyway, you have come up with three brilliant interpretations while i (fully agree with you that nichole was VERY mean this time) came up with nothing! i am still hoping to manage to put something together before the end of this day. anyway, lovely cards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love all 3 beautiful cards! Great use of the die in your second one--the script really adds that "somethin-somethin" extra. I'll bet the watercolouring in your first card is NOT the only watercolouring you can do! And your third card is classically beautiful. Wonderful takes on that challenging photo! (I didn't attempt it...). Safe travels home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOH~ pretty! The last one is my favorite! (I can never resist flowers! HA!) I love the cream frame you added too, doesn't take over the design, but adds a softness and frames it out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to laugh again at your Lazy crafter comment... that would make a great blog name.... as we all feel that way a bit.
    Oh my gosh!!!! Really..... THREE cards of perfection! You are so very talented and you always amaze! Safe travels... back to you other home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very fun to see three cards, all so different! Love your tulip colors and how the overlapping circles stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of your cards are fabulous Diana! Love the three different takes on the inspiration! Those tulips look amazing in those colours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All 3 cards are great! Love what you said about your first one - that stamp set was my first (obvious) choice,too; but I eliminated it figuring if I thought of it, then everyone would have! Love your interpretation on your second one - what a clever use of that die!

    ReplyDelete
  17. BEAUTIFUL cards! And for obvious reason I adore your first one! You captured the photo perfectly! That Simple Sunflower set came out in August 2011. http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capture_the_moment/2011/08/introducing-simple-sunflower-ff-additions-2-flower-fusion-think-big-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahhhh.... beautiful cards, I especially love that watercolor background!

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful set of cards!! the third one is definitely my favorite... love the tulips done up in those bold reds!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well you certainly got enough inspiration to make 3 cards! lol Three different cards, all fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, you found tons of inspiration in the photo, just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Three amazing cards! I love yoru post and the titles you gave each card LOL

    I am so excited for you that you get to hug on your littles soon!! Safe travels!

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  23. Funny girl!! I do wish we lived closer. We would have a blast stamping together for sure. Your cards are super as always...

    ReplyDelete
  24. All beautiful cards Diana! I struggled with this one too. It was a tough one and you really created some beauties as you always do!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Diana, you make me laugh. I never thought of using the script swirls, but now I wish I did. You second card is awesome. What a way to think outside the box. And we all have to use a flower and tulips are perfect. Beautiful cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh, my word - wow!! Each card is so unique and fun to examine! You struck a home run with this blog hop for sure. I must admit your first swirly design on the watercolor stripes is my fave and inspired me to use Circle Scribbles. Great job and enjoy those grands; we're going to see our middle grandson this week for his 8th bd - can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your cards are so lovely and I love how unique each one is. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are all fantastic and beautifully done, Diana! Got to love your names for each!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Have a great trip home! You're amazing--3 cards & they're all very creative & beautiful! That was a difficult challenge in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  30. They are all so awesome as are all of your cards Diana! I love the names and descriptions as much or more than the cards! Haha! The Self Indulgent is so so beautiful, but that first one really blew my socks off! Have a safe trip and lots of fun with the littles!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your three cards are amazing, Diana. I thought this month's inspiration photo was difficult, but you pulled it off beautifully :) Safe travels homeward!

    ReplyDelete
  32. As usual...3 amazing cards. And the obvious name for your card has started an obvious revolution!!!
    You manage to see things on a way that is awesome and fabulous!
    Drive SAFE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. How can I pick one favorite? They are all awesome! (Okay, maybe my favorite is the Slight Stretch). Glad I'm not the only one who struggled with this one! You nailed it on all three counts!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You've been busy!! Impressive! Love them all but I do love the water colouring ... Have a safe trip home! Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  35. You were inspired! Great set of cards and they are each unique.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What beautiful cards Diana - looks like you've been pretty inspired by the pic! I think the second is my favourite..love the stamping on the die cuts!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your three cards are amazing! I'm having a hard time picking a favorite~safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Three gorgeous cards, and you said you struggled with this challenge? I think you were just teasing us, Diana. Each one is so unique I can't pick a favorite...but I do love those gorgeous tulips! Have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Fantastic cards Diana. The script swirls look great with the water colored brush background... the sunray circle is so sweet with the little heart. and oh, those tulips... so pretty. Great take on the inspiration photo.

    ReplyDelete
  40. WOW! These are incredible! I am totally in love with the sunrays and the heart in the middle! Just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow all your cards are awesome! My favourite is the first one!! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.