Tuesday, 31 May 2016

Gradient Watercoloured Die Cuts


This week, over at Nichole Heady's Papertrey Ink blog, make it Monday is featuring watercoloured die cuts from Dawn McVey. Now, if you've visited here lately, you already know how much I struggle with watercolours, but I gave it a shot and made two cards, using my not-so-beloved Zigs. For the first one, I used the method that seems to work the best for me - I scribbled some Zig colour on an acrylic block and then picked it up with a wet, flat paintbrush and coloured away on the die I had cut from watercolour paper. It's a very subtle gradient but I assure you it's there ...

Paper: PTI Stamper's Select White, Smokey Shadow; Canson XL Series watercolour paper. Stamps: PTI Perfect Pairing. Inks: PTI Smokey Shadow. Dies: PTI Cover Plate: Sunflower, Initial Thoughts. Other: Kuretake Zig Clean Color Real Brush pens; Claudine Hellmuth Studio gesso

I am adding in a (bad) detail photo for my gradient coloured sunflower, against a white background, just to show you how I really did colour it. It softens up completely when adhered to the Smokey Shadow card.


For my second card I used the same Zig colouring method that Dawn did, applying the colour directly to my die cut and then pushing the colour around. My colour certainly never moves as easily as hers did on the video! I ended up with a very rough, uneven look, which kind of worked for me in this instance (P.S. I changed my birdie from Sweet Blush to Pure Poppy) ...

Paper: PTI Stamper's Select White, Pure Poppy, Spring Moss; Canson XL series watercolour paper; Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor Cardstock. Stamps: PTI Songbirds. Inks: PTI Smokey Shadow, Sweet Blush; Tim Holtz Distress Ink Broken China. Dies: PTI Cover Plate: Winter Woods, Songbirds. Other: Kuretake Zig Clean Color Real Brush pens

My personal favourite is definitely the sunflower one. I love how graphic and bold it turned out.

19 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous, girl. How did you do 3 scrumptious cards. Beauties all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sunflower is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the neutral palette sunflower! What a great idea--I sure am not creative enough to think outside the box like that! Ditto for your cutting the trees out of watercolour paper! The texture on the trees is marvellous! Great cards, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both lovely, but the color scheme on the first is very eyecatching. Great design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both cards tick all of my boxes, Diana! Gorgeous sunflower die - huh, how did that get by me?
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards, Diana! Love the sunflower card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that birdie card! those tree branches look terrifically rustic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both cards are beautiful, love the sunflower but always love to see songbirds stamps in use :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diana, both of these cards are awesome. I love that sunflower card
    I totally put that in my cart...thank you! :)
    Your trees look amazing. The texture really made them look so real!
    Great cards...as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of these are absolutely beautiful Diana, but I admit to being drawn to the bold sunflower one...just stunning! And so glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggles with the Zigs...everyone talks about how much they love them and most of the time it's a hate relationship for me! I do find if I wet my cardstock first I have a bit better luck, but still struggle big time with them! I'll take a Copic or my Aqua Painter and ink any day over the Zigs! OK, done ranting! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really love your sunflower card! I like the soft colors you used for your gradient. I can barely make them out but that keeps the focus on that gorgeous flower :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh. I love your sunflower card, Diana! It's so striking and wonderful! Thank you for reminding me that I have this cover plate in my stash!
    Your second card is awesome, too. Are you using watercolour paper? I find that I can't add water to my Zigs using just white cardstock. I need to use watercolour paper to get the right effect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All your cards are beautiful but I am totally drawn to the bold sunflower card as well. They're all fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diana, your sunflower card is beautiful! I also have trouble using Zig markers and used them the same way you did. And I love your birdie card...the colors are so soft and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful cards Diana. That first one is a stunner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Diana, once again you nailed this challenge. For one who says they can't color, your cards are just stunning. Now I want that sunflower, but I'm telling myself no. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your neutral sunflower card. Very striking! I have signed up for email from your site and would love if you could follow my blog as well. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous as usual, Diana! You always make some striking designs! The gradient effect with the neutral tones on the sunflower is amazing. The water coloring on the trees makes them look so real. I love red birds, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW, what beautiful cards, Diana! Always fabulous & striking!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.