Thursday, 26 May 2016

Masked Backgrounds with Laurie

For this week's Make It Monday challenge, over at Nichole Heady's Papertrey Ink blog, Laurie Willison is showing us how to create some amazing masked backgrounds, like this one that she made ...


I'm not big on videos, but I actually enjoy watching Laurie work. She seems to be a very decisive person, to the point and has great work habits. Everything is done so neatly and precisely and she always has good tips. Her best one this year, so far, is to go out and buy yourself some Elmer Multi-Purpose Repositionable Spray Adhesive. She recommended this a couple of weeks ago in another MIM tutorial and I obediently went out that day, 40% off coupon in hand, to buy some. I'm a sheep; what can I say. This is some of the best stuff ever. I've long used spray adhesive in cardmaking, the Krylon brand, mainly for glittering things up. But this Elmer stuff is repositionable for a little while, and then dries permanent, giving you plenty of time to fiddle with lining things up, especially those pesky multi-layers of word die cuts. Laurie deserves an award of some kind for spreading high caliber advice like this :)

I digress. I may not enjoy watercolouring, but I love ink blending. Made this week's card in exactly 30 minutes, no complaining involved! Just chose a stamp and die set that I wanted to work with (PTI Still Life: Summer) and then pretty much copied everything Laurie did. Here's my card ...


I used Tim Holtz distress inks for my background (Wild Honey, Abandoned Coral and Dried Marigold). I misted it with water when the inking was finished and added some Abandoned Coral splatters for good measure. I stamped my sentiment in PTI Dark Chocolate and Smokey Shadow inks. I also added some Glossy Accents to the Rainier cherries die cut for some extra sweetness. Love the colour of this card. Thanks PTI for the fun. It's put me in a better mood for the weekend.

18 comments:

  1. LOVE this card Diana! Your colors for your blended and masked background are SO pretty and just perfect to display your yummy looking fruit on! Beautiful card and well done!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOve your card, Diana - especially those fabulous fruits!!! I agree with you on all counts in regard to Laurie and her videos - that Elmer's spray glue? even a can 20 years old works great!!!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well your inked bg is drop dead gorgeous! As are the fruit lineup. I've put off taking Lauries's advice about the glue spray. After reading your blog, going out to get some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card. It looks like a still life painting!
    I also agree on the spray adhesive. I have had it for years but rarely used it cause I thought it was messy. Lauries tips changed it. I have a small, deep plastic bowl and tweezers...I use it almost every day!
    Beautiful card. I am glad you are more cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful summer-like card. Your ink blending and fruits look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love this, Diana! You have me thinking that I should have gotten this kit....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost bought that adhesive after Laurie recommended it, but so far I'm still using up what I have. By the way, for liquid adhesive I totally love Perfect Paper Adhesive. It dries invisible & doesn't make a mess on your fingers like Tombow Mono. I get a very fine line by putting it in a quilling glue bottle. Back to your card--love it! Beautiful ink blending, Diana! Just made mine last night & need to get it posted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card! When I finally feel creative again, I want to try spray adhesive. Anyway, I digress....very cute card. Glad it went together quickly. I am not a robot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. L.O.V.E. it!! so soft and peachy! : ) I'm with you Laurie Willison's tips are the best : ) I like her style and I like yours too!! : )

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well that is just lovely! The colors you used are so pretty, and your blending is marvelous! I love that spray adhesive too! So much quicker than those pesky little dots of glue! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! The fruit looks good enough to eat! A very "sweet" card!! (I wanted to buy this kit, but restrained myself, darn it...) Love your background and all the summery colours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous, Diana! Your fruit looks so real, and your blending is perfect. That Laurie is full of great tips like Press N Seal. I haven't been anywhere yet to buy the spray adhesive, but it's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is lovely! I need to get that spray adhesive too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH, Diana, this is so adorably sweet! The stamped images are just too cute! Fabulous colors, inking, and design.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful cards! My fave is card #1 - it's so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Diana, your inked background is positively beautiful! Lovin' the yummy fruit on top :-) I'm going to follow the followers and buy some glue spray cause I'm always adding panels crooked and unable to move em without ruining my card

    ReplyDelete
  17. I somehow missed this beautiful creation of yours! Gorgeous background Diana.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.