Saturday, 25 June 2016

June 2016 Papertrey Ink Blog Hop



I did not expect to be participating in this month's Papertrey Ink Blog Hop over at Nichole Heady's blog.  At all! But thanks to a hot shot young surgeon, I was able to make three cards today. Last Sunday night I experienced some huge, weird, never before seen by me, floaters in my left eye. I also had lights flashing in the night and on Monday I hurried over to my eye doctor. I was diagnosed with a tear in my retina. By 11h00 Tuesday, I was having laser and cryotherapy surgery, thanks to my doctor's partner's young son, who is an eye surgeon specializing in the retina. He also found a tear in my right eye so both were repaired at the same time. There was no sign of retina detachment so I should be good to go.

This month's inspiration was very summery, featuring this reef painting ...


by Yellena James. I cannot tell a lie - this was not my all-time favourite inspiration. Not thrilled with my projects, but here they are ...


I'm obsessed with my Heidi Swapp Minc foiler at the moment, so all of today's cards feature foiled elements. I cut myself some slack on this first card and used some pre-printed flowers from the Don't Forget To Write kit. Because I'm so late on posting, I'll come back tomorrow and follow up with a complete supply list. I foiled my PTI Quatre Foil cover plate die cut using Heidi Swapp Minc Reactive Screen Ink and foils in Melon Berry (Therm-o-Web) and Mint (Heidi Swapp).

My second card is so not me, but I went with the organic feel/flow of the inspiration piece ...



The splattering was done with Heidi Swapp Minc Reactive Mist, which has a very strange consistency for a mist, but is lots of fun and produces some dramatic results. I made another card front, with a Zig coloured background,  but it's still not dry so I couldn't complete it in time for this challenge. I might add it to this post tomorrow :) I did some ink blending to get my "Shine" sentiment.

Edited to Add: My fourth card panel finally dried (it's the Minc Reactive Spray Mist that takes so long) and I'm posting my finished card. It's absolutely my favourite one of the bunch, such a fun mixed media look ...



I painted a background with my Zigs on some Strathmore Bristol Smooth 300 Series paper and then stamped some random flowers stems (from PTI's Petite Pots Anniversary stamp set) with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I finished up with a misting of the Minc Reactive Spray and foiled it with Thermo-o-Web's craft foil in Rose Gold. A die cut sentiment, from PTI's Make It Market Mini Color Pop Florals kit, helped it all come together.

Last, and for me, least, is this one ...


Again, the sentiment is foiled, using a Heidi Swapp art screen. I ink blended the background and then stamped some images (from PTI's Vintage Linens and Petite Pots) with Versamark and embossed with white detail powder. PTI's Pretty Frame cover plate added the finishing touch to the card.

28 comments:

  1. gorgeous set of cards!!! and YAY for hot shot young doctors who can fix retinal tears!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All three of your cards are just beautiful I love your designs
    Thank you for your inspiration!!. Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.

    DL.ART
    DL.ART DESIGN TEAM MEMBER
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com
    http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana, your cards are beautiful! I'm surprised, but happy you entered the challenge. You must be feeling pretty good to make 3 cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm smitten! Gorgeous, all. Love the foil. Have not tried that yet, you're a tempting me with these beauties! So glad that all turned out well. Hugs! And have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome - love the foil accents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing cards! Amazing designer. You foil beautifully! Love you!

    And amazing hotshot surgeon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made three beautiful cards...I'm guessing your eyes are back in full function!
    I totally love the last one...really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of these Diaana. Hubby got me a Minc Mahcine for my birthday and it came this week. Is it bad that I feel like I need to put it away until Christmas? I've already thought of some Valentine ideas so I need to stock up on some Red Foil. Do you have a preference for a particular brand yet? I hear lots of good about Therm-o-web but I haven't tried any of that yet.

    So thankful for your great eye doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You amaze me! Eye surgeries and still three cards for this hop! So happy for your successful solution to the retinal problems. I really love the modern J Pollock look to to your 2nd card and the third pastel framed sentiment is so loverly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well considering you've just had eye surgery, these are just amazing! Loving the look of that foil and mist..More products to buy...!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you are on the mend....literally! Tough week! Glad the docs were able to take care of you so quickly.

    These cards are amazing. Love the foiling! Beautifully done as always, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous cards Diana! Happy to hear you are doing better. I fractured my tailbone four weeks ago due to a motorcycle injury but doing better. My riding days are over. This past weekend My husband and I bought a 28' trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Diana, I'm thrilled that you were able to create again, and that your eyes are already healing. So thankful you got scheduled in so quickly. Happy healing! Love all your cards and the foiling is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great cards. Love the colors and the background design on the one you entered.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! You were able to do a card...or two....or three. I was looking for your name in the line up! So glad you are doing better! Thank God for brilliant, young eye surgeons ;). Love your foiling on all the cards, and I must say, the splattering is very cool! I love it! You surprised me with this...it's not your usual style, but I really love it. Wish I could see the foiling in real life--I bet it's gorgeous! I am resisting this latest technique;I don't have room for a foiler, not money to buy the needed supplies, but I do like the look very much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH, Diana, what beautiful cards you've created.
    The foiling is simply gorgeous.

    SO glad all went well with your surgery.
    Take care! HUGS! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun cards, Diana! I know how hard it is to capture the shine of the foil. Hoping your eyes heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such gorgeous cards! I adore your card for the PTI blog hop! Hope your eye heals real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. All of your cards are beautiful, Diana! I especially like the second one - love CAS, the shine and the design. And, your third card may have pushed me off the fence about ordering the PTI -Cover Plate: Pretty Frame Die - it now goes to the top of my Wish List!

    Diana, your eye problems sound very scary and I'm so glad you were able to find a super surgeon to right the damage. Hoping for speedy healing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what a way to start out the week. Glad to hear all is well. For not liking the inspiration for this challenge, you sure came up with three awesome cards. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are beautiful cards! I hope you will continue to be well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful cards Diana! Love the second one, will have to give foils a try.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness! So glad you got your eyes fixed so quickly and everything is good now! Your cards are beautiful! Very artsy and hip looking! Love all the texture! Trying to pick my favorite.... I think I'm going with the first! So pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovin' the "Celebrate Today" card. We are all celebrating your successful eye surgery. We will never believe you when you trash talk zig markers ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous cards, Diana! Glad you got your eye surgery done so quickly! So impressed you were able to create at all, much less THREE beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, these area all fabulous, Diana! I think the third one is my favourite....

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are all gorgeous and I am SO glad that your eye is better and that you got whisked in for surgery lickety split! I purchased the Mini Minc a while back on super sale (almost made up for the expensive shipping to Canada!) but haven't had a chance to use it ... can't wait! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. "A tear in the retina! Wow, that must've been a really frightening experience, especially someone like yourself who is obviously quite an accomplished artist. Thank God (and your talented surgeon of course) that everything ended up turning out OK.

    I don't understand why you're not ""thrilled"" with how your cards turned out. Obviously it's normal for artists to be critical of their own output, but I wouldn't be so hard on yourself if I were you because I think these pieces turned out great!"

    Jamaal @ Eye Clinic London

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.