Friday, 3 June 2016

Simon Says: Mask It


When I saw that the Wednesday Challenge, over at the Simon Says Stamp blog, was masking, and that Altenew products were being showcased this week, I knew I had to play along. I've had the Altenew Vintage Roses set since the beginning of the year, but I've never used it except on its matching die cuts. I think this is one of the most gorgeous stamp sets ever made, but it's not easy. At all. Combine that with masking, my least favourite technique, and I can honestly compare it to reading (or writing!!!) War and Peace. I used masks, both fussy cut ones and post-it notes, for my project. I've never had any success with masking fluids, though I've tried several different "recommended" brands.

I decided to challenge myself and try to duplicate one of the flower arrangements on the Altenew packaging for this set. It only took me 4 days to stamp and I was stressed the entire time :)  I made loads of mistakes but decided to post my card anyway, no Photoshop used, so all the boo-boos are here for everyone to see. By the time I finished stamping I only had enough energy left to add a die cut word (from Mama Elephant).


One of the tricky things about stamping directly on a card base is that you don't have a lot of room to change things up. I had originally intended for my A2 card to be vertical, with the stamped flowers in the upper right hand corner, but then I just couldn't seem to finish it up in that orientation. If I had known from the beginning that the card would be horizontal, I would have laid out my flowers a bit differently. But there you have it and truth be told I'm surprised that I did this well :)

10 comments:

  1. I have one of Altenew sets that I've never used; totally intimidated by the whole process. Even when I enlarge your photo, I can't find any mistakes---looks great to me! (Must admit, your narrative doesn't encourage me to get my stamp set out.) Beautiful flowers; gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, this is absolutely stunning! I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana, your card is beautiful!! I don't see any boo boos at all. I have that set and I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elegant card, Diana! Those roses are amazing and so are you for stamping them. Love that beautiful sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh goodness…i think your card looks perfect. it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is gorgeous, Diana! Fabulous masking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous card Diana! It's so elegant, pretty & so beautifully stamped.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another stunner! Don't be critical of your gorgeous card. Send it to me, please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you. Masking is something that produces such lovely results but kind of makes me want to break into hives (just kidding--not that stressful but kind of!) I stumble onto many unexpected techniques just by my fumbling or mistakes and masking is no exception. It's kind of tedious but if one can hang in there, the results can be outstanding. Someone needs to come up with a technique that will do for masking what the Misti did for stamping...just sayin.... (maybe that could be me if I get motivated to think about this) Your card is lovely as are all your cards! You have mucho talent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH, Diana, this beautiful card certainly made me smile. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.