Monday, 25 July 2016

Papertrey Stamp-A-Faire 2016: The Masters


Oh my goodness. I did all nine challenges. I still can't believe it, but I managed. Some I like more than others, but isn't that always the case? It's kind of like with the grandkids (no, I did not just say that). I'll go in order and get this all posted in one post.

(1) Master Colour Recipes

Incredible inspiration, so hard to choose. I'll probably use each of them eventually. This is what I chose ...


Even though the Mark Rothko White Center painting is the one I most would like to own, I loved the colours in The Soul of the Rose, by John William Waterhouse and made this card. I did not come near to doing the inspiration justice and wish that I had more time for a redo. It's my least favourite of the event ...

Paper - PTI Stamper's Select White, Stormy Sea. Stamps - PTI Painted Petals. Inks - PTI Ocean Tides, Spring Moss, Canyon Clay, Vintage Cream; Fresh Ink Grapefruit, Melon. Dies - PTI Painted Petals, Color Pop Florals; Lil Inkers Stitched Rectangles.
Plus, I couldn't photo it at all ... way too cloudy and rainy around these parts.

(2) Starry Night

Amy's card was unbelievable. A knock-out, stunning, blew me away. She really shared some amazing tips with us for creating our own beautiful night skies :) Here's what I came up with ...

Paper - PTI Stamper's Select white card; Ranger watercolour paper. Stamps - PTI City Scene, City Scene Sentiments. Inks - PTI Enchanted Evening, Mint Julep, Sweet Blush, Blueberry Sky, Winter Wister, Smokey Shadow; Versafine Onyx Black. Dies - PTI Shakers & Sprinkles MIM Kit, Tag Sale: Quilted. Other - White acrylic paint, glitter, sequins.
It doesn't even look like a night sky. It's darker in real life, but I could not effectively capture my Nightmare on Elm Street look in a photo. Let's just say that it's the seedy side of Paris that I've managed to portray with that weirdo stamping, hahahahaha! After so many tries, I was at a loss, truly. I glittered the centre heart in a last minute attempt to make the card look less depressing.

(3) Gilded in Gold

I made this one last because I knew it would be easy and fun. How could you not enjoy using Liquid Leaf!!! P.S. I loved the smell and might have enjoyed myself a little too much :) I pretty much copied one of the gorgeous inspiration pieces that Danielle provided ...

Paper - PTI Stamper's Select White, Classic Kraft, Aqua Mist, Sweet Blush card. Stamps - Concord & 9th Sophisticated Script. Inks - PTI Smokey Shadow. Dies - PTI Don't Forget To Write MIM Kit, Folded Tag, Minute To Make: Holiday Tags. Other - Plaid Liquid Leaf Classic Gold.
These just might end up being my easy-to-make Christmas tags for this year.

(4) Impressionistic Florals

Gorgeous work by Melissa Phillips. I've been so inspired and just want to make cards and projects 24 hours a day. I also realize I need to buy many more stamp sets. :)  I would never be able to come close to realizing one of Melissa's pieces of art, so I didn't even try. Instead I made this ...

Paper - PTI Stamper's Select White, Vinage Cream, Sweet Blush card. Stamps - PTI Tulip Time, Songbirds. Inks - PTI Sweet Blush, Lovely Lady, Pure Poppy, Hibiscus Burst, Raspberry Fizz, Summer Sunrise, Terracotta Tile, Stormy Sea, Green Parakeet, Ocean Tides, Smokey Shadow; Versamark. Dies - PTI Cover Plate: Pretty Frame; Lil Inkers Stitched Rectangles. Other - Zing white embossing powder.
I should have prefaced this entire post by reminding everyone that I do not enjoy painting. I've tried many times, my DH is a painter, but I just can't do it. (1) I'm not good; (2) it's not my passion. So the theme for SAF may not have been my most favourite of all time, but I still love a good challenge and tried my best. Sometimes I get a little lazy.

(5) Masterpiece Inspirations


The Green Dancer, Edgar Degas. Need I say more. And Heather's interpretation! Such lovely inspiration.


This is the card that I made ...

Paper - PTI Classic Kraft, Vintage Cream card. Stamps - PTI The Sweet Life, Friendly Flowers; MFT Whimsical Woodgrain.  Inks - PTI Hawaiian Shores, Tropical Teal, Terracotta Tile, Dark Chocolate, Sweet Blush, Orange Zest, Scarlet Jewel; Fresh Ink Pool; Memento Tuxedo Black. Other - Rose Gold i-Craft Therm-O-Web Deco Foil.


No painting or ink blending! And I managed to sneak in some Minc machine goodness (and some woodgrain)!

(6) Mastering Drips & Splatters

As you will see, I chickened out. I just splattered. Couldn't help it, just not a fan of uncontrolled paint. :)


(7) Pointilissm

Heather shared such a fun video, showing us just how easy this technique was (not) and how it could add interest to our cards. I loved her project, mine not so much. Lots of work and I might have made a little boo-boo along the way, resulting in me thinking that a shaker card (right in the middle of SAF rush hour) was the way to solve my petit problème. I guess it was late and I might have had one glass of red wine too many ...

Paper - PTI Stamper's Select White card. Stamps - PTI Friends Til The End. Inks - PTI Winter Wisteria, Amethyst Allure, Autumn Rose, Royal Velvet, Lavender Moon, Bright Buttercup, Simply Chartreuse (a little bit); Altenew Midnight Violet; Versamark. Dies - PTI Scripted; Mama Elephant Columbus Circle. Other - SSS Clear Embossing Powder; sequins.
I am challenging anyone and everyone to guess what PTI stamp set I used. I dare you.

(8) Watercolour Like a Master

Amen. Not going to happen. But I so enjoyed watching Kay in her amazing video. And hearing her voice. :) She's a natural. I respect her so much for her work ethic (you can tell that she never gives less than 100%), her talent and her giving spirit. She's always there to encourage others on. I am a little bit dismayed that I couldn't do better than I did. I made many attempts. But it's okay because we all can't be good at the same things. The world would be a very boring place if we were all identical.

Paper - PTI Stamper's Select White; Strathmore Bristol Smooth. Stamps - PTI Cutting Garden, Friendly Flowers. Inks - PTI Spring Moss, Bright Buttercup, Pure Poppy, Orange Zest, Smokey Shadow. Other - Rainstones from PTI (to try and distract from my watercolouring).

I like the colours, hahaha! And I realized, just now, that it would have been good if I had added some white acrylic paint dots to the leaves. Oh well, for next time.

(9) Colour Blocking

I didn't think I would be participating in this challenge. Too difficult. I even made fun of Lexi's technical, mathematical, nerdy video on the PTI Forum. :) But I did it and my DH thinks my card is darling. Not described in those words, but whatever.

Paper - PTI Stamper's Select White. Stamps - PTI Still Life: Summer, Perfect Pairing.  Inks - PTI Hibiscus Burst, Orange Zest, Vintage Jadeite, Pure Poppy, Summer Sunrise, New Leaf, Blueberry Sky, Fine Linen; Memento Tuxedo Black; Altenew Midnight Violet. Dies - PTI Don't Forget To Write MIM Kit; SSS Folded Banners.
If you had seen me scrambling to cheat on this assignment you would have laughed. I wasted so much time trying to come up with a scheme! I tried to colour with Copics to avoid the ink blending (horrific results), to heat emboss my images so I could avoid masking them, using die cuts!!! And then I came up with the winning (lazy) solution. A circle.

This group photo will be a reminder of just how much fun I had.


Thank you PTI, and thank you to the best Design Team anywhere, for all of the wonderful inspiration and encouragement to create that you provide. And a special thank you to my PTI Forum friends. I can go over there and complain and whine all I want and they just ignore me and pretend I'm not there. It's like going to therapy.

27 comments:

  1. You did it, and you did an amazing job, as usual. I think you used (do you know how horrible at remembering stamp names) Friends Till the End. But, I could be way off. Your cards are glorious and not Nightmare on Elm Street. Your fruit is cute.Smoochies

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful cards, Diana - every one of them is so pretty - especially love the Degas inerpretation -i think this was the best SAF they've ever done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you for completing them all! i have completed none, not one. but i will and i will fail in a spectacular way. you, however, made a great job of it. love your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, as usual, you have an amazing post. Every card is a work of art.
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always look forward to your posts on MIM or PTI Blog Hops and today's didn't fall short of your marvelous standards! Your cards are very well done and most of all they say, "I tried it"! Bravo! even on the color blocking on which I wimped out and clear embossed instead of masking. My favorite is your watercoloring with the masters with Cutting Garden. Keep on inspiring us~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what an amazing post Diana!
    Love the way you've been inspired... and then again inspiring me !
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all your cards!! And your sense of humour always makes me smile!! You got so many done!! Very impressive!! I didn't have time for Melissa's challenge but I think I got through all the rest. What did you use for the Minc dots and woodgrain??

    ReplyDelete
  8. A collection to be proud of! I think my favorite is your Degas.
    I thought I had only skipped two challenges, but looking at you list, I realize I missed three, including two,of the easiest, the color challenge and Drips and Splatters. Also pointillism, which was probably fun to do. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a stunning group of cards! Your Degas interpretation is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Diana, what gorgeous cards! I am not a fan of Pointillism but I am a big fan of your card - WOW, so lovely and what a great idea to make it into a shaker card!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, where do I start? With the hilarious comment about the Grandkids? The glorious array of eye candy ( your cards) or the very nice things you said about me ( I'm blushing) I'll start with the last, thank you!!! Thank you!! You have no idea what that means to me! So very nice!! :) Now your cards, as always I love them! I think you did an amazing job, and yes, even on the watercolored one! It looks beautiful to me! I loved reading about the one you did for Lexi's challenge, but really, that turned out adorable! The nighttime sky one... OH MY! Stunning! Really all of them! I could go on and on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely parade of SAF cards Diana..I'm fascinated with #7 on pointillism:)) Beautiful in design and colors and I'm guessing Dot Spot is the stamp set, but that doesn't seem right.I Must know, what did you used?
    Thank you for your kind encouragement on my blog:))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Diana, your cards are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diana these are all beautiful! You were so productive!
    You used Friends Til the End, didn't you! Boy it looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on doing them all! I managed it too, but it wasn't easy. I really love your Paris night sky and your Pointillism shaker using Friends Till the End. I like the soft colors of your Painted Petals card too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I laughed out loud about the Liquid Leaf smell and how much you loved it. I think all of your creations are beautiful, Diana. I am wanting to know where to by the Little Inks Stitched Rectangles as they seem to take up a full A2 card base rather than 1/4 inch too small.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing group of cards! I love them; couldn't possibly pick a favorite. You really rocked this day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOWZA!!! These are all so incredible! So well designed and a perfect representation for each challenge. It's hard to pick a favorite but if I had to I'd say the Master Colour Recipe card with its soft colors and clean design. I finally have enough points to order this Painted Petals set and it's out of stock :/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, wow, Diana, these are all amazing! I love them all! Fabulous job with the SAF challenges, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What gorgeous cards Diane! I life that you did a Christmas card, congrats on finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, Diana! All amazing! I love the little tags!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW...WOW...Diana, what a FABulous array of creations! You ROCKED all the challenges. Love them all! As I've mentioned before, you should be on the PTI design team. Your creations are always beyond beautiful and always SO inspiring.

    And, your sense of humor always cracks me up!
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't believe you've managed to do all nine challenges Diana - what an amazing effort. They're all fantastic but I think the watercoloured one is my favourite - you're being way too hard on yourself. I rarely like my watercolour cards either and fully accept that I will never be a master!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow you were busy, busy on SAF day. Love your cards, especially your tags, so sophisticated with the script. And the pointillism shaker card is wonderful! So artsy! Of course it is from "Friends til the end." That flower is very distinctive.

    ReplyDelete
  25. yay! you accomplished so much! and i *love* your color blocked card - so cute!!! (i totally missed your forum posts and avoidance schemes until today because of our vacation, lol!!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Diana. I keep coming back to your Gilded In Gold tags and your first card from the Master Colour Recipes. The liquid leaf is very appealing and adds such a nice detail to the soft color palatte. Love how you used the Sophisticated Script stamp set for a modern twist on your labels.
    Your Master Colour card is really lovely. I especially appreciate the colors you chose as well as your floral interpretation and sentiment. It really works.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.