Thursday, 4 August 2016

Bluing

Nichole Heady, over at her Papertrey Ink blog, is giving us the chance to remix some of our SAF projects. Goodness knows I could work on mine for a few more weeks, but instead I decided to do only one redo and then one completely new project.

I'll start with my new card. I had such a hard time choosing which Masterpiece Inspiration I wanted to try. I went with the painting I would most like to own (ha!) which was the Dégas of The Green Dancer, one of my all time favourites. But after I saw all the submissions for this challenge, I knew I needed to do an interpretation of this John LaFarge masterpiece ...


I'd never seen it before but that blue sky overwhelmed me and  I came up with a card that I absolutely love ...


I know this sounds weird but that vivid blue (Tim Holtz Blueprint Sketch and Chipped Sapphire) background reminds me of my mom's laundry bluing, back in the day. :) (PTI Mini Market Kit Color Pop Florals, Branching Out, Scripted)

I really really wasn't happy with my original Master Colour Recipe project which was based on this gorgeous John William Waterhouse painting ...


Here is my original ...

Before
and here is my redo ...

After
The good thing about this redo is it gave me a chance to add a couple of the other challenges into the mix. I did a bit of watercolouring à la Kay, and also some of Melissa's floral impressionism technique was snuck in. (PTI Quilted Tag, Beautiful Brushstrokes Make It Market Kit and I'm having a complete mental block on where the "Enjoy" sentiment came from - Bitty Bouquets, thank you Nancy.)

16 comments:

  1. Love all your cards, especially the painted blue background!! The swipes of blue are the perfect backdrop :) See, I KNEW you could watercolor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Beauties all. And, I agree, you can watercolor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your original and your re-do! Art of any kind is just so lovely isn't it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My, Diana! Your cards are all amazing! Each one has it's own uniquely beautiful qualities! I just LOVE the videos and challenges from SAF this year and think I will be "Re-Doing" a few more times in the near future~just sayin' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely cards, one and all - but the blue one is exceptional! I love that Blueprint Sketch color, and yes, it does look like bluing (and I do remember my mother using it also)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous Lafarge inspired card, Diana! Loving the redo, too!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are both gorgeous, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I think they're ALL gorgeous! But I'll admit there's something about that top one and I think it IS the fresh and vivid blue background! So lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowzers! These are all so pretty! Your distress ink background on the first one is just gorgeous and the blending of the different techniques on the last one created a masterpiece! I seriously love your original too though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I saw Danielle's interpretation of the LaFarge painting, I couldn't think of anything else that would be quite as beautiful, so I passed it by. Yours is also wonderful. (I don't remember my mom using bluing, but I do vividly recall her sprinkling clothes with water, rolling them in a dry cleaner's plastic bag and putting it all in the refrigerator overnight before she could iron. It's so much easier today!)

    I cannot believe you weren't happy with your original color recipe card. You absolutely captured the mood - and the lines - of the Waterhouse piece along with mixing the colors beautifully. I am doubly impressed because I only used the colors; the masterpiece never even entered into my creative process. Your card is charming. And three cheers to you for incorporating a multitude of techniques beyond stamping ;-) into your redo and so seamlessly, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS - The "Enjoy" sentiment is from Bitty Bouquets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The blue background is very striking! I like all of your cards - there was no need to redo any of them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous remixes Diana! Swooning over the "Blueing" background of the first one and the soft watercoloring on the second. Still trying to come up with the mystery stamp set from your (7) Pointillism piece:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diana, I'm shocked you weren't happy with your Celebrate Today card. It's beautiful as are your other two. Looks like a gorgeous blue watercolored background on your first card so now you've mastered that technique also. Yay, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really lovely cards, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Diana, you amaze. I'd say you have no room to critique, but I adore the redo, so it's all great! And the blue, just wow!!!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.