Sunday, 30 October 2016

Layered Dry Brushed Background

This week, over at Nichole Heady's Papertrey Ink blog, Lizzie is showing us her layered dry brushing technique. She made a beautiful card with a fabulous dry brushed background. My project did not go as planned.

Paper: PTI Sttamper's Select White; Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor Cardstock. Stamps: PTI Christmas Critters, Christmas Critters Sentiments, Snowflake Sparkle. Inks: PTI Soft Stone, Sweet Blush, Pure Poppy, Saffron Spice, Fine Linen, Smokey Shadow; Tsukineko VersaMark. Dies: PTI Christmas Critters, Banner Borders. Other: SSS Detail White embossing powder.

  1. I do not own a paint brush for painting walls. I have never painted a wall in my life. Neither has DH. We ALWAYS hire someone to do it and we never attend housepainting parties. Ever. We are not rich, nor snobby, but we do know our limitations. When I need to do a touch up at home, I use a small foam brush.
  2. Because of #1 (see above) I used my largest Clarity stencil brush. (Three days later and it's still drying.) This was apparently not the way to go, because I hardly got any texture, even though I layered two colours  (Blueberry Sky and Enchanted Evening). I'm thinking maybe I didn't brush off enough paint???
  3. I loved this technique, and see it as the perfect substitute for ink blending when I'm in a hurry, but the result I achieved on this card is very dull. Not at all cheerful like I was hoping it would be. :(  I don't have time for a redo so it's being entered anyway as I enjoy the possibility of winning gift certificates.
The very good news is that I got a chance to use my Christmas Critters set and I love it even more than I thought I would (which was a lot)! I'm already begging Nichole to make mirror stamps and dies for the mice. That woman never gets any rest what with all the PTI pests around. :) We're just never satisfied.

8 comments:

  1. ADORABLE card. I think your background looks great. I didn't use a household brush either. I too do not paint! I thought it was had to get enough paint off the brush to even show up. It did however make quick textured background panels. the mice are so dang cute, I can see why you want mirror images. I LOVE the idea of the banner border as your sentiment/grounding piece. It gave a ton of interest. As usual...awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Post! It made me smile because I know sometimes things don't go how we planned! Been there many times, your card is absolutely lovely and I adore that stamp set. I don't think it could be any cuter! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this regardless Diana! This post made me smile! We ARE a bunch of PTI pests, aren't we??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too, too cute Diana and I loved your fun post! I don't paint either...safer for my house and luckily my hubby does like to paint! But anyway, those mice are just adorable...cute, cute card!! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I think that is just as cute as can be and quite cheerful in my opinion! You did a great job on the background. I really need to try that technique! Your little mice are darling!! I got a huge kick out of your comment about not being rich or snobby, but knowing your limitations!! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Diana! I was smiling all the way through it! Love your little mice with their cheerful bright red noses! Really fun card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute, cute, cute card. Only one, you underachiever!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love visiting your blog, Diana! You make me smile! And your card is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.