Wednesday, 2 November 2016

No Ribbon Necessary

Playing along with Lexi over at the Papertrey Ink blog for this week's Make It Monday. She has us creating our own wrapping paper! Well, not the actual paper, but you know what I mean.

I've said it before ... I almost always use solid coloured wrapping paper at Christmas. It's what I like and I can use my (many) colours all year round, not just for the holidays. Having said that, I may go with a pattern this year, one that I bought at Hobby Lobby last year, but that's yet to be decided and when I've made my mind up and done all of my tags I'll do a post. In the meantime, this is what I made for the challenge ...


Yes, I stencilled. With embossing paste. I'm absolutely never going to do this IRL, not with all the mega-sized Lego packages that I end up having to wrap, but it was fun for today. I first tried stamping on my coloured wrapping papers, but that didn't work - the ink just smudged. I also tried Versamark and embossing powder and that did work, I just wasn't in love with it. I also tried stencilling with acrylic paint but that was even more of a mess than the paste.


What wasn't working for me was stencilling before wrapping, so I moved on to the method I would actually use if I were to ever do this (never happening). I wrapped the packages first (I recommend using an Apple box, such as an i-Phone; their boxes are the best, hahaha!) and then did the actual stencilling. DH wouldn't even help me and it was most difficult to do with just two hands. Happily, the paste scrapes off wrapping paper easily. :) I used the stencils from Betsy's Post & Parcel kit and I love the texture it adds to the wrapping ...


This set of wrapping papers went particularly well with a simple set of tags that I had made during this year's Stamp A Faire, using Plaid Liquid Leaf, so that was a good thing ...


When all this was finished, I felt a little bit guilty about not stamping some paper so I tried that as well, this time using the reverse side of some red ribbed Kraft paper that I own ...


P.S. My first job this morning was ironing all these bits of wrapping paper - I wasn't going to waste virgin yardage on pretend gifts!!! I used the little tree from PTI Winter Hills (one of my most favourite images ever) to make a pattern. I couldn't use one of Lexi's templates because I couldn't see through my paper, plus it was too big to do in my MISTI. (Insert The Scream.) I loved that this grouping also went well with my SAF tags ...


But I thought that was cheating and took a pic without them ...


but then it looked too naked so I made up some really really really fast tags using my MINC and Heidi Swapp White Foil that is actually very matte, not shiny at all) ...


All the tags shown today were made with my most favourite tag dies in the world (PTI Folded Tag, Tinsel & Tag and Minute To Make: Holiday Tags). I own lots of tag dies, from so many different companies, but these are the ones I love the very most - they're the perfect size for all packages, big and small.

Done. Hope you enjoyed. In case you didn't notice, I love wrapping. It was the first paper crafting I ever did.

20 comments:

  1. What pure joy to come to your blog today,Diana! I am blown away with your classic elegant stenciled wrapping paper! I can't get over this wonderful idea! I love the stamped trees too! Gasping at the beauty here today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love wrapping, too, and your packages are gorgeous! Can't imagine using stencil and embossing paste, though. I'd never get done! I have that tree---have to get it out soon---love the stamping, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, i love reading your make it monday posts - and i always love the results, too!! both ensembles are so pretty - i think the falling snow is my favorite, but it's so hard to choose. and i know what you mean about the iphone boxes - the best, haha! thanks for playing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honest to goodness, what fun today! Haven't had time to do this challenge yet, and dying looking at all the fab posts. Your's goes to the head of the list, with your stenciling! WOW! Love the look and love your posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very lovely. BUT, where is my tag?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW...I am SO impressed Diana! Your packaging once you figured it out is just stunning! I want to come to your house when all your presents are wrapped and just gaze for awhile!! I absolutely love the blue and white...so beautiful!! I'd say you definitely knocked this challenge out of the park Diana...well done!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, if I didn't read you made this wrapping paper I would think it's store bought from a high end store. Just beautiful - the blue color with the embossing paste is stunning! And the tree on the kraft paper looks store bought too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diana, all of your packages are simply stunning! They are so elegant and I love them ALL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just can't tell you how much I love these!!! Well, really I should tell you you could have done better... ;) LOL! But I can't!! These look like photos out of a glossy crafting magazine!! They are SO pretty!! The embossing is stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. holy cow this looks fabulous! And elegant! Wow, just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, these are absolutely amazing, Diana! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your packages are so beautiful and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. so gorgeous! I can't take it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are in awe of me??? Seriously? Those are THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIFTS I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!
    Stunning. How amazing would it be to have all your gifts wrapped with embossing paste embellished paper???
    AMAZING! Simply amazing!
    Massive kudos to you
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diana, these packages look amazing! Your wrapping paper is stunning! Love the color-combos you used on ALL of these...AND, the white embossed images are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW, Diana, your wrapping paper is incredible, and your gifts look awesome. I'll bet your decorated house is simply divine. You must share photos some day...I love your taste!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous!!!! I love those packages with the embossing paste!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your wrapping is stunning! What a fabulous idea with the embossing paste (your commentary made me chuckle). I adore both sets....wish I could hire you to do my Christmas wrapping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW, Diana, what gorgeous packages! I love your choice of pretty colors & the fabulous embossing. Beautifully designed! You rocked the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.