Friday, 28 April 2017

Stencilled Watercoloured Backgrounds

I'm playing along with this week's Make It Monday challenge, over at Papertrey Ink, but I'm not enjoying it one bit. I can't lie. I'm not a fan of watercolouring and Betsy is up this week and she's showing us how to add interest to our cards by stencilling in a watercoloured background. Blech! But I did it. And after 447 tries I have one that I'm willing to post ...



I did everything exactly as she told us to. I die cut my PTI Quatrefoil cover plate to use as a stencil, laid it over some Tim Holtz watercolour paper and coloured it in with PTI reinkers (Mint Julep, Spring Moss and Aqua Mist) and a wet paintbrush. When I was finally done with that step, I looked down at it and said "Quite frankly, you're boring". So I promptly put the cover plate back on top to emboss my card front. And ended up with some texture. Yes!

That's the thing I don't enjoy about watercolouring. There's no tooth, no bite, no texture. I like bold paintings done with acrylics and oils and mixed mediums, ones that scream out a message. Please don't take this the wrong way. I see plenty of watercolour artists (and cardmakers) who do fabulous work and I gasp at the beauty and at their talent, and I'm crazy jealous of them. I appreciate all of it. I can not paint or colour in any medium, so I certainly wouldn't say a word against anyone's style or amazing talents. It's just that I prefer bold and a bit over the top when it comes to art. Or graphic. But I love looking at all kinds of beautiful things, even ones that are not my personal style.

Anyway, now that I'm done with my rambling, I finished off my card with a nice PTI Big Hugs word die cut from Aqua Mist, added a stamped sentiment from that same set to a Keep It Simple frame, stuck on a branch from Beautiful Berries: Spring that I had left over from another project, and added some flowers from Tulip Time.

So remember, don't be mad at me. Just be glad that I don't often paint. I only did it for the chance at a $25 gift certificate. 🙃

19 comments:

  1. Lol! I enjoyed reading your blog as much as I did looking at your beautiful card! And I agree--the texture of the embossed plate added that extra "somethin-somethin", which is sometimes the difference between "meh", and "yes!" Your flowers and sprig added the final, perfect touch. Just super! Hope you win the gc this week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, I would love to see the other 446 that didn't make it! This one is gorgeous. Love your embossed bg, and the dreaded watercolor. But especially have to love your sentiment. Ah, hugs are the best medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words made my evening - thanks for the giggles. Agree that the embossed bg really punches up your water coloring! Not too bad of a card, oops! I meant it's wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're my soul sister!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, this is the best comment I have ever received! I appreciate it so much!

      Delete
  5. Diana, you crack me up! 447 times, huh! Lol! I completely understand. I can't watercolor worth beans, but everyone else's always look so beautiful. Despite everything, you again made a gorgeous card, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your 447th attempt was worth it Diana, your embossed, watercolored background and flower overlay is beautiful! It took me several attempts (maybe 8?) to finally come up with one I liked. It's pressure entering these challenges, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you added the texture with the embossing! Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Diana...you do make me laugh girl!! I'm glad you persevered because I LOVE how your card came out! Love the colors, love the embossing (especially LOVE the embossing!!), and love how you put the tulips and beautiful berries together too! Lovely, lovely card!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your choice of colours! Just darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! I love the color combination you used on the tulips, berries and greenery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got a kick out of reading your rambling about watercoloring! haha! That said, you really did a beautiful job with it! That card is just stunning!! Your little cluster of flowers is gorgeous and impressing the die was a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no, Diana, did you use up all your card stock you got when in Florida? Your post made me chuckle, but your card is gorgeous in my eyes. Who knew you didn't like watercoloring? I've got to try embossing using a cover plate as I love your results. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny post, but gorgeous card, Diana. I love your background and pretty Tulips and color choices. I didn't have time for a re-do on this one, but wish I had!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, texture is where it's at :) Watercoloring is difficult for me, too!I love how you combined the tulips set with the branches set, yippee for me...I have both, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, texture is where it's at :) Watercoloring is difficult for me, too!I love how you combined the tulips set with the branches set, yippee for me...I have both, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Di, as usual, a gorgeous card! Just sayin!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.