Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Colour Wash Backgrounds

Another fun Papertrey Ink Make It Monday Challenge featuring watercolouring. 😉 Laurie Schmidlin is up this week and you just KNOW that she made fabulous cards! She's showing us how to add watercolour wash backgrounds to our projects. I have done this before and it's about the only form of watercolouring that works for me - on occasion.

I used some really cheap watercolour paint that comes in tubes for my background. I squeezed the paint out onto pans and left them to harden for a few hours. It's my preferred paint, aside from reinkers, which aren't really paint. The thing I like most about it is that I can easily add in white to soften the look.


Please note that the splatters that look like brown spots on this card are really gold Colour Shine by Heidi Swapp (we are having clouds and rain all week). See detail below.


And, yes, I made another card with Tulip Time. I also used Still Life: Summer and a masked sentiment from Perfect Pairing. Hubby "strongly dislikes" my cherries that are uncoloured; and in fact thinks I've lost my mind for pairing the tulips with cherries. I'm calling it whimsical. Just to please him, and to see if he was right, I also stamped them in colour, but I preferred the outlines only on this card. The good news (for me) is that I had plenty of fruit left over to make other cards, which you'll be seeing in the near future. 😉 One of them may even have a colour wash background! 😃

16 comments:

  1. I love this card and Tulip Time and pink and gold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card Diana!! The pinks are perfect for the tulips and your background is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am no expert, but I LIKE the mix of cherries & tulips! It's the things we do that are unexpected, that get you noticed! ;) BEAUTIFUL JOB on your card!!! I ALSO like the GOLD! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect in every way! Love your bold mix of colored and uncolored!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your combo of dies, Diana. The tulips and cherries are stunning together, and in pink and gold... divine! The wash is lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell your hubby he is full of blue mud (as my dear MIL used to say!) and that the tulips and uncolored cherries look FABULOUS together! I love the touch of unexpected in cards...I think it totally brings it up another notch! And I could tell your splattering was gold and not brown right away! Lovely, lovely card Diana!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your pretty card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh so pretty Diana! every time I see that you have used tulip time, I regret not buying it. and, now, today (!) with Rosie posie I am faced with yet another classic that I do not have in my tool kit! Anyway, lovely, lovely card with very brave gold splatters. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What do husbands know, right? I love your card! the tulips are gorgeous with your background ...and I could tell they were gold splatters!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your design and who knew husbands even noticed our cards? I'm especially fond of your colors and the gold. I have several stems of Tulip Time ready to dress up some card panel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so pretty...love the colour wash.
    TFS,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have those same cheap watercolors, they work for me, too! Except I never thought to let them harden, lol! That makes a lot of sense :). I immediately thought of you when the challenge went up, two watercolor technique weeks in row, gah! And yet this card is as spectacular as last week's...I LOVE the whimsy of the cherries with your gorgeous tulips :)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous!!! Your uncolored cherries are a perfect, unexpected touch...very artsy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog posts are always worth a chuckle plus your cards are breathtaking. Even when you mentioned how challenged you were, you step up to the plate and create a beautiful work of card, Diana.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous! Totally works for me! Love the look of tulips and cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it looks amazing, I'd had never thought of combining these stamps but looks so fun and totally great! Wonderful water color bg too.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your encouragement.